cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This is precisely why I love Utah County. Not so much for myself, but for my kids. It's very comforting to walk through the halls of the elementary school and you recognize nearly everyone from your ward or stake, and know exactly what their families are like, etc.
I agree with this. I can definitely see some benefits--the school one. Although not sure how excited i would be for my kids to go to an elementary school with 90+% LDS people.

I just think that overall, it would not be to my liking.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #32
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
No, not at all.

But the fact of the matter is, despite being able to socialize with whomever you wish, the main source of sociality is still usually your ward when you live in Utah.

No thanks for me. I dont want to see them same group of people every day....when I drive down the street to my house, then when I go to mid-week church meetings, then when my kids have their friends over on the weekend, then when we go to the ward activity on Saturday, then when we go to Church on Sunday.

Like I said, it isnt for me. It works well for others and if it does, more power to everyone.
Ironically, I socialized less with my ward members in Utah than I did in Memphis, Dallas or here. In Utah I had old college friends, in-laws and coworkers that I'd go do things with. My ward was less important. I still have friends outside of church, but since leaving Utah, I feel like my ward friends are more important to me than they were before.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #33
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Ironically, I socialized less with my ward members in Utah than I did in Memphis, Dallas or here. In Utah I had old college friends, in-laws and coworkers that I'd go do things with. My ward was less important. I still have friends outside of church, but since leaving Utah, I feel like my ward friends are more important to me than they were before.
Agree with this. The "ward family" doesn't seem to exist in Utah. At least not like it does here.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

But the fact of the matter is, despite being able to socialize with whomever you wish, the main source of sociality is still usually your ward when you live in Utah.
This has not been my experience. Not at all.

In fact, one of the main complaints people have when they move to Utah is that they don't get enough social support from the ward. They are often used to having a tight-knit "ward family", and people in Utah rarely look to wards to build a network of close friends. We recently had a couple move back to SoCal because they felt like they couldn't make enough friends in the ward.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #35
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Bingo.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #36
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This has not been my experience. Not at all.

In fact, one of the main complaints people have when they move to Utah is that they don't get enough social support from the ward. They are often used to having a tight-knit "ward family", and people in Utah rarely look to wards to build a network of close friends. We recently had a couple move back to SoCal because they felt like they couldn't make enough friends in the ward.
Apologies. I guess I am over-generalizing.

My opinion is based on my in-laws ward, as well as 5 different married couple friends I have in Utah....Suncrest, Bountiful, Lehi, Cottonwood, and, until recently, Provo. Also, my living in Utah Co for 10 years.

If your experience has been different, then Utah would really be a great place to live...quiet, affordable, not everyone in your grill, skiing.........bad food, though...ha!

Most importantly, one of my original points was the despite the homogeneity, I dont see any possible way to extrapolate a righteousness quotient from the general population. There may be a lot of similar people in Utah, but that doesnt make them less worthy or lesser members of the Church. It really has no bearing, in my opinion.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #37
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
If your experience has been different, then Utah would really be a great place to live...quiet, affordable, not everyone in your grill, skiing.........bad food, though...ha!
That's the worst thing about Provo. Lack of quality restaurants.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #38
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
OK, I get it now. It's actually pretty clever once you figure it out.
I like his new name as well. Took me a minute to figure it out, but I like it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Food in Provo is inedible.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #40
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Along these lines, my wife, despite her general reluctance to speak up during RS meeting gave me a good anecdote.

Some how her lesson had devolved to the point where the lovely sisters were patting themselves upon the proverbial backs for, "at least we don't have to have vote like the Catholics to select our next leader."

This offended my wife, who commented something to the effect, "Why can't we just be happy with our mode of succession without deriding others for their own. The Catholic Church is much larger and must take into consideration a broad range of opinions when the next Cardinal is elevated to Pope."

She said a quiet entered the room and she felt as though she might be disinvited from attending next week.
What would have bothered me in that situation would not be the comments by the sisters, but the lack of effort by these self same individuals to go out there and proclaim the gospel in a fashion that would warrant their "faith" behind the comments.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote