cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #31
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
The wife and I caught a movie last week with a few other LDS couples. As we were leaving the theater my wife commented on the poster for The Golden Compass which set off two of the women immediately. They initially launched into a point by point tirade that was straight from the email (without giving any credit to the email). I told them I'd seen the same email they obviously had (at this point they admitted that's where they got their info) and that such email campaigns virtually ensure that I will be purchasing a ticket to said movie. Upon further questioning, not one of these ladies has read any of the books in question but they have bought into the email 100%.
This reminds me of the most infamous Mormon chain mail I can remember. To nobody's surprise except the average Mormon housewife, a set of garments were up for sale on Ebay. A good portion of the Mormon population freaked out and started chainmailing like mad. I got several things from my mother in law and mother, at which point I called them both up and told that that they were (1) attracting attention to something that, while perhaps regrettable, was best left ignored which in turn was (2) causing Mormon people all over the country to bid for the garments in order to get them back into "safe" hands which was a problem because (3) you had no way of knowing whether or not the current high bidder was a Mormon (since nobody was using "moroni" as their screen name) and therefore (4) Mormons were driving up the price of the garments to astronomical levels (they sold for around $400, IIRC) (5) giving the seller something like 10,000% profit and (6) making it almost certain that he'd do it again.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote