cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #21
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
do they show their hooters or not?
Not. But they make really good maple syrup.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #22
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
What a beautiful chruch. Thanks, AA. Where is it?
Copenhagen. Vor Frue Kirke, or "Church of our Lady."
Old 08-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #23
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Juanita Brooks didn't believe that, and she was objective. You might believe McMurtry is not objective, but the McMurtry approach appears more scholarly than most.

Point to me an objective historian who is certain BY ordered and knew of the murders.
Will Bagley's MMM commentary on the PBS special was interesting. He basically implied there is enough circumstantial evidence to support the premise that BY was involved. I understand that Bagley is a member; how does he fit into the "objective historian" category?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #24
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Let me ask this (I'm sure it's less than 50/50 anyone will have the gumption to answer). Given what we know about Mormon culture and respect for chain of comand even today, and the size of the Mormon community at that time and Brigham Young's stature and presence in it, how much sense does it make that the actual perpetrators of the crime did this on their own initiative?

This reminds me more of the Manson murders than anything else. Charles Manson was never at the scene of any murder for which he was convicted. The prosecutor's theory, which carried the day, was that he was the puppeteer of the Tate LaBianca murderers who wielded the knives. Obviously, such a case could only be proven circumstantially.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #25
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Let me ask this (I'm sure it's less than 50/50 anyone will have the gumption to answer). Given what we know about Mormon culture and respect for chain of comand even today, and the size of the Mormon community at that time and Brigham Young's stature and presence in it, how much sense does it make that the actual perpetrators of the crime did this on their own initiative?

This reminds me more of the Manson murders than anything else. Charles Manson was never at the scene of any murder for which he was convicted. The prosecutor's theory, which carried the day, was that he was the puppeteer of the Tate LaBianca murderers who wielded the knives. Obviously, such a case could only be proven circumstantially.
I don't think I would argue hard for either side of the discussion. I can easily understand it came from Brigham Young or was thought to have come from him.

I can also easily understand it got carried away at the local level.

I don't have a "dog" in this fight over whether Brigham Young did or didn't have it done.

I am quite frankly more concerned with those who think the HC was divinely given.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #26
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Not wanting to shrink from your 50/50 challenge, I will gingerly dip my toe in and respond.

Certainly BY's leadership style was "top down"; he expected nothing less than complete obedience - his tolerance threshold was non-existent. The question in my mind is how much day-to-day control did he exert over events occurring 200 miles away? Given what we do know, how would today's justice system treat BY? Would he be charged with conspiracy?

One cause and effect element of MMM that is not fully understood is the assassination of P.P.Pratt by his wife's legal husband in Arkansas, and her subsequent arrival in SLC on 7/24/1857. History documents that her recount of the events inflamed the Saints and there was no love lost for anyone from Arkansas. Clearly there are more subtleties to MMM than the attack itself. From my idealistic perspective there is the possibility a conspiracy occurred - I just do not have enough credible information to make an objective assessment.

Last edited by Requiem; 08-13-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #27
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is a valid point, but discussing how much sense something makes is a futile exercise when the topic is the cold-blooded murder of 129 people.

Few would dispute that Brigham Young contributed to an already hostile climate with inflamatory rhetoric. Anything beyond that is conjecture.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Will Bagley's MMM commentary on the PBS special was interesting. He basically implied there is enough circumstantial evidence to support the premise that BY was involved. I understand that Bagley is a member; how does he fit into the "objective historian" category?
But Bagley hasn't shown any "evidence", just a conclusion. There is, as far as I know, no new evidence. We don't have conclusive nor even suggestive evidence that BY (a) knew about it in advance, or (b) ordered or authorized it.

He did contribute to the inflammatory atmosphere and should be faulted, but that's a far cry from the ordering of 120 murders. Does he bear some responsibility? Yes, but not as an actual planner, or commander who desired it.

I'd be willing to look at the evidence piece by piece to pick it apart.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #29
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I have been to that chapel in Copenhagen. It's gorgeous.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I thought Bagley looked like a hack in the PBS special. He had his shot to put forth his best case in front of millions of viewers and the best he could do was a weak speculation ("I think BY ordered it because nothing happened at that time without his knowledge.")