cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #21
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

In terms of the Billboard chart, "Hey Jude" was their biggest hit.

Frank Sinatra called "Something" the greatest love song ever written.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 PM   #22
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

No question - "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

Plus, I agree with MPFunk about Prince being highly underrated - I've watched his solo at the Concert for George many times, and he's amazing. A very underrated guitarist.

Most of his music doesn't fit my taste, but you can't deny that he's the closest thing that pop music of my generation has to a musical genius.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:15 AM   #23
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think anyone has mentioned I am the Walrus yet..but that's a good one...coo coo cachooo!

Other obvious favorites, Across the Universe, Yesterday, Hey Jude, Let it Be.

And for more Beatles fun and hi jinx: Yellow Submarine!

See my post on the Across the Universe Soundtrack...i've found it to be quite good...unless you don't like someone else's take on a Beatles song.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:36 AM   #24
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Gotta be either "Last train to Clarksville" or "I'm a believer"

both are classics.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:54 AM   #25
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I pity you. Maybe at some point you can learn to like some real music, instead of enjoying all the crap that you are told you are supposed to like.

I once again give another great example of good music for you. Eddie Hazel one of the best on guitar out there, performing what is one of the best guitar solos you will ever find.

This was a great find, and a really good performance of Maggot Brain. Luckily it also has Michael Hampton too. But of course since no one has told you a thousand times how great Eddie Hazel is (and well he is not just an imitator like the Beatles) you will never really like it.

To quote Mos Def
"Elvis Presley ain't got no soul"
I listened to half of the Eddie Hazel clip until I dozed off. It's crap. Just because something is technically difficult doesn't mean it is entertaining. Hell, if that were that case, juggling would be a lot more popular.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:08 AM   #26
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I listened to half of the Eddie Hazel clip until I dozed off. It's crap. Just because something is technically difficult doesn't mean it is entertaining. Hell, if that were that case, juggling would be a lot more popular.
I agree completely just because something is technically difficult doesn't make it good. Eddie Hazel isn't good because he did things that were technically difficult he is good because he was good. Maggot Brain is an amazing track.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:17 AM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Hazel is good to musicians who want to sound avant garde. I agree that just being hard doesn't make it entertaining.

If being weird were the only standard, no Bach or Beethoven would be ever be played and we'd beset by concerts of Shopenauer filling us Viennese Second School tonalities.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:23 AM   #28
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Hazel is good to musicians who want to sound avant garde. I agree that just being hard doesn't make it entertaining.

If being weird were the only standard, no Bach or Beethoven would be ever be played and we'd beset by concerts of Shopenauer filling us Viennese Second School tonalities.
Interesting I must have a different standard for avant garde, because I don't find Hazel to be remotely avant garde at all. In fact I would say it is pretty straight forward rock/funk.

I don't think weird is the only standard, but I will admit that I like my jazz as out there as it can get. However, I do also appreciate stuff other than free jazz or avant garde.

If you want weird I present to you John Zorn. Oh and I love Zorn, I think his Masada albums are absolute masterpieces. Long live Klezmer music.

mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not musically talented, gifted or knowledgeable. So I can show you what the average village idiot likes.

I like Jethro Tull.

John Coltrane.

Rush.

Pumpkin Tree.

Ozric Tenticles.

Bob Marley.

Duke Ellington.

Led Zeppelin.

Fela Kuta.

Brazilian stuff.

Just ordinary stuff. Of standard classical fare.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:16 AM   #30
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I have great appreciation for high quality music, this is why I hate the Beatles.

Give me a John Coltrane, Sun Ra, Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis over the Beatles anyday. If I want to listen to rock I can also find several better options than the Beatles, a little soul in music is always a good thing and the Beatles have no soul

The only good thing that has come from the Beatles is some jazz musicians have done arrangements of their music.
TO say you prefer jazz over pop/rock is fine. To say you think no pop/rock qualifies as "high quality music" is defensible, in a certain internally consistent way, perhaps. But to say that the Beatles suck, as opposed to any other pop/rock is rather silly. They are the epitome of pop/rock.

I love jazz. But the beatles are great. The bridged the worlds of the big bopper and mozart. They fused styles of music and contributed to social changes that resulted in ideas we are still arguing about even here int he world of CG. You are a bright guy so I conclude you must be trolling.