cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 03:28 AM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
For the most part, I think we should look at art for its own sake, and not try to interpret it through the lens of the artists' life.

If Wagner was not the sort of person that one would want to be acquainted with, so what, to some extent.

Wagner, muscially, was a visionary. (I learned this in my Music 101 class).
In addition to the thematic & the storyline elements to his operas Wagner is also noted for scoring for full symphony orchestra in his opratic works. The orchestra music is so strong that it can stand independent of the opera. Because of this, you can often hear of orchestras performing music from Wagner opera x in a standalone concert. Wagner is also noted for using unusual or newly invented instruments in the orchestra(anvil, serpent, ophicleide, English bass horn, Wagner tuba to name a few) to create a certain atmosphere or aura appropriate to the scene.

Wagner's music is, of course, famous but never more so then when Elmer Fudd starts up with his 'Kill da wabbit' song.
Yes. It's often part of any symphony orchestra's regular repertoir. And, as you suggest in your last sentence, Wagner's music appears often in popular culture, sometimes as an influence. The shark motif in Jaws is a dummed down rip off of the dragon motif in the Ring opera Siegfried. We hear echoes of the Ride of the Valkyrie motif in many a cavalry charge accompaniment.

Often individual operas from the Ring cycle are independently performed. I will say, though, that though a novice I found the cycle to be riveting, and not a minute of it tedious. I highly recommend it. It's one of those events that stay with you forever.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:37 AM   #42
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'd go even further and say art should not be judged by wether the critic personally agrees or disagrees with its thematic content--it's the execution that counts.
I couldn't go that far. I think that needs ot be qualified. While artisitc execution is important, thematic content can be determinaitve of its value to me, as the viewer. This is not to say for ALL viewers, just to me as an individual. This depends greatly on the media chosen as well as the message being conveyed. SOmeone might sling monkey dung at a canvas better than anyone else out there, but I don't want to look at it.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:07 AM   #43
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Quote:
I'd go even further and say art should not be judged by wether the critic personally agrees or disagrees with its thematic content--it's the execution that counts.
I couldn't go that far. I think that needs ot be qualified. While artisitc execution is important, thematic content can be determinaitve of its value to me, as the viewer. This is not to say for ALL viewers, just to me as an individual. This depends greatly on the media chosen as well as the message being conveyed. SOmeone might sling monkey dung at a canvas better than anyone else out there, but I don't want to look at it.
I agree it can be. Birth of a Nation's racist message adversely affects its artistic value to me. But that's an extreme example. Let me see if I can illustrate what I mean. "Blood Meridian"'s nihilistic depiction of the world as essentially fraught with conflict, even thoroughly violent, and wholly material (devoid of any spiritual element) isn't my world view, but I couldn't admire more McCarthy's depiction of such a world (his execution). Same comment about "the Illiad" (Homer even describes with chillingly powerful effect how everything goes dark for a combatant who dies). Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy can be seen as an argument against the existence of God, but the novels' depiction of such a godless world should be judged apart from whether the critic is Christian, atheist, etc. Same with the "Narnia Chronicles," a Christian allegory. I don't share Dostoyevski's or Tolstoy's literal Christian faith or criticisms of the Enlightenmen, but I am in awe at the skill with which they portray the power of religious faith and principles to affect the human condition in subtle but sublime ways. I don't agree with Spike Lee that because I'm white I'm racist. But I admire "Do the Right Thing" very much nonetheless.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #44
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Quote:
I agree it can be. Birth of a Nation's racist message adversely affects its artistic value to me. But that's an extreme example. Let me see if I can illustrate what I mean. "Blood Meridian"'s nihilistic depiction of the world as essentially fraught with conflict, even thoroughly violent, and wholly material (devoid of any spiritual element) isn't my world view, but I couldn't admire more McCarthy's depiction of such a world (his execution). Same comment about "the Illiad" (Homer even describes with chillingly powerful effect how everything goes dark for a combatant who dies). Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy can be seen as an argument against the existence of God, but the novels' depiction of such a godless world should be judged apart from whether the critic is Christian, atheist, etc. Same with the "Narnia Chronicles," a Christian allegory. I don't share Dostoyevski's or Tolstoy's literal Christian faith or criticisms of the Enlightenmen, but I am in awe at the skill with which they portray the power of religious faith and principles to affect the human condition in subtle but sublime ways. I don't agree with Spike Lee that because I'm white I'm racist. But I admire "Do the Right Thing" very much nonetheless.
Art is the idea, execution is the craft … we live in a time of very few original ideas, everything is borrowed, including our history. We ignorantly endeavor to place any work of significance in context in an attempt to ameliorate our experience with it, ultimately dulling its savor by wallowing in the circumstances that birthed the brilliance.

As a result in many circumstances the craft is the art, while moral mavens debate the relative value of the idea.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #45
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
Paul Simon - Graceland?
That was on my list.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #46
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
This list may date me, but what the hell.

1. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Top to bottom, one of the most solid albums of all time. Not a bad track on the album. If you have never listened to this album stoned, then you have sadly missed out on one of life's unique pleasures..
2. IV - Led Zeppelin
This may be THE classic rock and roll album of all time. The standard by which all other albums are measured. As we speak, the ringtone on my cell phone is Black Dog. Other songs of note: Misty Mountain Hop, Stairway to Heaven (who hasn't made out to Stairway to Heaven?), The Battle of Evermore, Rock and Roll, When the Levee Breaks. It doesn't get any better than this.
These are 2 of my favorites as well. I didn't include them on my list only because they were released before my time, and so they didn't blow me away in the same manner that a new release does. It's a different feel when something is new to everybody and you've never heard the stuff at all.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:39 PM   #47
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:30 PM   #48
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

The medium is only relevant in that it provides the wow, neeto, cool superlatives needed to adorn the idea … ultimately the medium will weigh down the idea and hold it captive, thus transforming the idea into a categorical component of human deference … it’s at this point the idea must sever it’s ties to the chasms of the artists mind and remain forever beholden to the whims of the observer of the art object.

There is no better example of such phenomenon than the rhetorical perversion, perpetrated by craftsman called musicians on music.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #49
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:25 AM   #50
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't want to dumb down the end of this thread too much, but, at the same time, I didn't want to start a redundant one either, so here are my six:

New OrderLow Life. Great post-punk electronic music. So many current bands copy their style. Power, Corruption and Lies still holds up today. Saw them live in Berkley.

The Stone RosesThe Stone Roses. Beat-based Oasis, before Oasis.

Public Enemy – ‘Nation of Millions. P.E., along with KRS1/BDP, substance-based rap. Saw them live in Sacto.

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes. They only made one good album, but it was a great one.

The Chameleons, UKStrange Days. moody, semi-psychedelic, UK-based alt rock.

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking. The best of LA’s post-modern-semi-punk.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote