cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default DDD's Music List of the Day: Top 5 Most Bizarre Songs of my lifetime

I like putting together offbeat playlists for my iTunes. I am currently working on a "bizarre songs" playlist and want to share my top 5 with you. My criteria was pretty simple....the songs had to be genuinely bizarre, for no apparent reason. In determining the criteria, I applied the following:

1. Has to be from my lifetime, so 70s onward.
2. Cannot be a commercial, a jingle, a parody, a fad launcher (such as a dance tune like Macarena or Boot Scootin' Boogie) or part of a comedic recording.
3. Must be in English (foreign languages may sound strange to some, but that doesnt make the song bizarre in and of itself).
4. The less commercially appealing, the better, thereby increasing the level of bizareness (my thinking being that sometimes, you are purposely weird to sell records. I can understand this strategy. If you arent even successful at selling records, then what was the purpose?)

So here they are for your enjoyment. I have also attached the YouTube link if you are interested in experiencing these tunes.

5. "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas--written at the intersection of the chopsocky and blaxploitation eras, the banal nature of this tune defies any sort of logic or conscience by not only completely ignoring the racial issues both cinematic movements presented, but by unintentionally promoting racism, or at least cultural sterotyping. The song was literally inspired by Carl Douglas's having seen a kung fu movie. The video is amazingly strange, poorly choreographed, and ultimately, very bizarre.

4. "Norman Bates" by Landscape--British electronic nobodies from the 80s who released a few electronic/sythn singles. They never went anywhere, but got there especially fast with this curious homage to history's most beloved Psycho and mamma's boy. This video was a semi-staple on MTV during its era. Perhaps the most puzzling aspect about this record is the extended spoken vocal portion wherein the narrator opines as to the nature of Norman's psyche. As a record producer, I am always excited about songs that feature lots of spoken dialogue.

3. "Porcupine Pie" by Neil Diamond--usually, I am a big fan of The Diamante. But this time, I have to call drug-induced hallucinogenic BS. I grew up with this song in my house and have always loved it, but never grasped it. The only thing that rivals the annoyance of the nonsensical lyrics is the inability to remove the tune from your head once you hear it. The video is equally strange....instead of a family sitting around eating a porcupine pie, they seem to be eating a pie made of lizards. Makes sense to me.

2. "Respect Yourself" by Bruce Willis--the 80s saw a fair share of movie star wannabes trying to leverage silver screen success for a chance at airwave stardom. Eddie Murphy enjoyed some commercial success with his awful "Party all the Time." At least he paired with Rick James. Don Johnson took it a step further by releasing 2 albums in the 80s. His "Heartbeat" is shameful, but not bizarre. Bruce Willis managed to take bizarre to an entirely new level with his album. Not only did he record an album to begin with, but he assumed the identity of a character named "Bruno" and even did interviews in real life as "Bruno the Bartender." The video features a Pointer Sister, a pool hall, and Bruno wearing some sort of vest and t shirt--ironic for a song demanding some self-respect.

1. "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (The Recognized Anthem of World Contact Day)" by The Carpenters. I love KC and RC. I love their music. And nothing reminds me more of The Carpenters than UFOs, spaceships, and interstellar communication. This song is a remake of an old Klaatu song (yes, "Klaatu" is taken from the famous phrase from the classic SciFi flick, The Day the Earth Stood Still, for all you movie lovers out there). The Carpenters version is much better. It was written for "World Contact Day," an actual event from the early 50s in which a national group of UFO chasers tried to actually initiate telepathic communication with extraterrestrials. KC hired over 100 musicians to rearrange the tune with strings and keys. The video is equally remarkable, including space-themed special effects, tuxedos, KC lounging on an organ in an evening dress, and a DJ taking a radio request directy from the alien mothership. The result is nothing short of the most shocking, puzzling, and brilliantly bizarre recording made during my lifetime--a song written with the express purpose to serve as a soundtrack for a concerted global effort to speak to aliens via mindwaves.

Please feel free to add your own suggestions, as this list is not exhaustive and I need more for my playlist.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

It's weird watching that video of a svelte Karen Carpenter knowing that she is probabyl sitting there thinking "If only I wasn't so grossly obese!"

Last edited by creekster; 11-02-2007 at 09:00 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

This fails the commercial failure test, but it's still a strange tune:
Murray Head- One night in Bangkok

Camouflage by Stan Ridgeway is also pretty odd:
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

[QUOTE=YOhio;145346]This fails the commercial failure test, but it's still a strange tune:
Murray Head- One night in Bangkok

Camouflage by Stan Ridgeway is also pretty odd:

I guess I overlooked One Night because it is from a play.

Stan Ridgeway is a good call. Really, any bizarre playlist should include some Wall of Voodoo, no? I like Camouflage (song and band).

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The combination of poppy music and the dark ambiguous lyrics, makes a winner in the bizarre category:

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The combination of poppy music and the dark ambiguous lyrics, makes a winner in the bizarre category:
I love The Smiths. My top 5 all time favorite bands.

You are right about Moz....bizarre lyrics to accompany beautiful melodies.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Here's a couple favs

They are more cultural oddities than anything so I don’t know if they quite fit ...

tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
tooblue

And one more -my sense of bizarre is likely a lot different than many of you ...

Old 11-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
They are more cultural oddities than anything so I don’t know if they quite fit ...
Ok, a few thoughts...

1. The first one is before the 70s, but is so amazingly awesome that I am tempted to make a second bizarre playlist exclusively with pre 70s music. I love the Snoopy image juxtaposed with the band members happily pretending to march in facist order. What are they chanting? Is it supposed to be "Heil" even though The Red Baron is not a WW2 icon?
2. Ballad of the GB is great, but I lumped that into a jingle, commercial, etc..it is kind of advertising something, so the message will be skewed for a purpose...to promote the Green Berets. Although the video..........Wow......I am not sure it does NOT belong on the playlist. It truly is bizarre.
3. High noon is way before the 70s cutoff, but I enjoyed the clip. Viewing it with a "bizarre" lens on, I can totally see where you are coming from.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Ok, a few thoughts...

1. The first one is before the 70s, but is so amazingly awesome that I am tempted to make a second bizarre playlist exclusively with pre 70s music. I love the Snoopy image juxtaposed with the band members happily pretending to march in facist order. What are they chanting? Is it supposed to be "Heil" even though The Red Baron is not a WW2 icon?
2. Ballad of the GB is great, but I lumped that into a jingle, commercial, etc..it is kind of advertising something, so the message will be skewed for a purpose...to promote the Green Berets. Although the video..........Wow......I am not sure it does NOT belong on the playlist. It truly is bizarre.
3. High noon is way before the 70s cutoff, but I enjoyed the clip. Viewing it with a "bizarre" lens on, I can totally see where you are coming from.
I know I didn't follow your rules especially in regards to era but those are some of my favorites ... the Green Berrets was not a jingle or anything of the like -it's a legit military man singing with pride about his service and was a big hit in much the same way Kung Fu fighting was.