cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default Best "new" rock band in last 10 years?

Foo Fighters has to be my pick for best rock band in the last 10 years. This is just a great band. They keep coming out with solid album after solid album. I love their style. It's melodic, but not soft at all, and hard/fast enough also.

I am open for other suggestions, but off the top of my head, I cannot think of another band that has had the staying power of FF, and also matches almost perfectly the style of rock I like.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Foo Fighters has to be my pick for best rock band in the last 10 years. This is just a great band. They keep coming out with solid album after solid album. I love their style. It's melodic, but not soft at all, and hard/fast enough also.

I am open for other suggestions, but off the top of my head, I cannot think of another band that has had the staying power of FF, and also matches almost perfectly the style of rock I like.
Do you mean best stuff a band has put out over the past ten years or best band that has started in the last 10 years?

Foo Fighters released their first disc over 10 years ago. It was like 95 or so because I was still an undergrad.

They were good on SNL this past weekend. Did you see them?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I stand firm in my belief that very few good songs have been written after 1988.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:37 AM   #4
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Do you mean best stuff a band has put out over the past ten years or best band that has started in the last 10 years?

Foo Fighters released their first disc over 10 years ago. It was like 95 or so because I was still an undergrad.

They were good on SNL this past weekend. Did you see them?
I mean best band that has started in the last 10 years ("new" band). I thought FF started 10 years ago, but if it is a year or two more than let's say best new band since FF started.

Crap! They were on SNL? I'll have to look for it on you tube. I'm definitely going to see them next time they tour. They have a SO MANY really good songs.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:39 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I stand firm in my belief that very few good songs have been written after 1988.
Of course, one exception would be "more than words" by extreme. it was released not too long after 88.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-15-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Have you heard much Foo Fighters? Listen to this song, it's one of my favorites. I don't know how anyone cannot like this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd_p1A7WVNs
Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 AM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I mean best band that has started in the last 10 years ("new" band). I thought FF started 10 years ago, but if it is a year or two more than let's say best new band since FF started.

Crap! They were on SNL? I'll have to look for it on you tube. I'm definitely going to see them next time they tour. They have a SO MANY really good songs.
Bon Jovi hosted and did 2 annoying songs.

FF were the musical guests and unfortunately needed to perform more than they actually did. for whatever reason, they only did 1 song (The Pretender), while Bon Jovi, not the musical guest, did 2 with his band.

FF also appeared in Andy Samberg's rad digital short about people getting punched in the face right before they eat something.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 AM   #8
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

That was a great digital short. It seems like those shorts are the only decent things coming out of SNL these days, and since they always show up online, there doesn't seem to be any reason to watch it anymore.

So TD who are your favorite bands of the last 10 years? We've discussed how I've fallen out of the music scene and don't really have a decent way of discovering new bands, but are there any to discover?
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:00 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Of course, one exception would be "more than words" by extreme. it was released not too long after 88.
Please tell me you're kidding.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:06 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Have you heard much Foo Fighters? Listen to this song, it's one of my favorites. I don't know how anyone cannot like this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd_p1A7WVNs
I like a few songs by Foo Fighters. I like "Learn to Fly" and "Everlong" is good.

I don't like the song in you link at all. It just doesn't do it for me.