cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2008, 04:11 AM   #41
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Some of those are respectable films, but I swallowed my vomit upon seeing Brokeback Mountain. I assume that was an absurd joke.
Brokeback Mountain is an extremely good movie, as far as romance films go. Superb acting and direction, with a story just relevant enough to be memorable. Although there are a few legitimate criticisms, I'm tempted to think that most of the criticism it receives is simply due to the "ick" factor.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 AM   #42
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have never heard of Say Anything. Does anybody die in it horribly with bullets flying or something blowing up?
Two words to describe that movie:

It sucks.

No explosions. None.

I honestly can't think of one movie that John Cusak has done that I have liked, other than Eight Men Out.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #43
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Brokeback Mountain is an extremely good movie, as far as romance films go. Superb acting and direction, with a story just relevant enough to be memorable. Although there are a few legitimate criticisms, I'm tempted to think that most of the criticism it receives is simply due to the "ick" factor.
I have no idea as I don't give a flying f about gay sex, unless it involves two hot chicks doing one guy. Outside of that, the chances of me ever knowingly watching gay sex are negative infinity. Male romance? Outside my experience and the topic has zero interest for me. Ang Lee is a good director, so I would not be surprised if it's artsy and what not.

However, the story line of gay cowboys doesn't sound plausible. I have been around cowboys all my life and that would NOT fly. Sorry ain't going to happen.

So you have an implausible subject, the "ick" factor and no hot chicks doing the guy? What's to watch? It's not metaphysical, it's not action, it's not normal romance, but gay unrequitted love?

I'm not that artsy, thank you very much.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:21 AM   #44
woot

Quote:
I have no idea as I don't give a flying f about gay sex, unless it involves two hot chicks doing one guy. Outside of that, the chances of me ever knowingly watching gay sex are negative infinity. Male romance? Outside my experience and the topic has zero interest for me. Ang Lee is a good director, so I would not be surprised if it's artsy and what not.

However, the story line of gay cowboys doesn't sound plausible. I have been around cowboys all my life and that would NOT fly. Sorry ain't going to happen.

So you have an implausible subject, the "ick" factor and no hot chicks doing the guy? What's to watch? It's not metaphysical, it's not action, it's not normal romance, but gay unrequitted love?

I'm not that artsy, thank you very much.
I'll admit to being a bit uncomfortable during one scene, but I recall there being at least one set of extremely nice breasts in the film, so that it balances out. In a country where an entire party is still completely unenlightened on the topic, I don't think it will kill anyone to be given a glimpse of the emotion surrounding a gay relationship. I had been sympathetic to the gay cause well before I saw the movie, and even I was struck by the complexity of the emotions involved.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:21 AM   #45
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I honestly can't think of one movie that John Cusak has done that I have liked,
I weep for you.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:25 AM   #46
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I honestly can't think of one movie that John Cusak has done that I have liked,
High Fidelity was one of my favorite movies back when I was somewhat of a music nerd, and I wouldn't mind watching it again right now. The script is awesome.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #47
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
High Fidelity was one of my favorite movies back when I was somewhat of a music nerd, and I wouldn't mind watching it again right now. The script is awesome.
Grosse Pointe Blank is also a great film that guys tend to like. Not one of his chick flicks.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #48
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'll admit to being a bit uncomfortable during one scene, but I recall there being at least one set of extremely nice breasts in the film, so that it balances out. In a country where an entire party is still completely unenlightened on the topic, I don't think it will kill anyone to be given a glimpse of the emotion surrounding a gay relationship. I had been sympathetic to the gay cause well before I saw the movie, and even I was struck by the complexity of the emotions involved.
I know gay relationships exist, and they can exist without me seeing them. Unless of course they involve lesbians, as I am a lesbian trapped inside a man's body.

Gay men, just keep it to yourselves. It's not a phobia but a disinterest because it's shoved down our throats. There's plenty else I'm willing to explore, just not that.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:36 AM   #49
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My wife made me suffer through that film. I swear the second hand on my watch actually went counterclockwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara
I weep for you.
Please don't, as your tears are shed in vain.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #50
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

True Romance is no. 1. (What else?) It's also Tarantino's best movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108399/

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote