cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #61
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I can't believe more of you aren't annoyed by that movie. It makes me want to dry heave just thinking about it.
I guess I can kind of see where you are coming from. The transition from stage to screen can leave some deficits. But substituing Julie Andrews for Mary Martin was a stroke of genius, IMHO of course.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #62
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Next week: DDD explores the erotic undertones in Shirley Jones classic, "The Music Man."
I'm still fanning myself after reading your SoM recap, and I'm breathless in anticipation of "The Music Man" summary. Start with the railcar scene when all the men sing repeatedly, and ever more slowly, "and when the man dances, certainly boys, the piper pays him...", followed by "yesssssss, sir, yesssssss, sir" while steam (evocative of San Francisco's Sutro Bathouse) escapes from the trains brakes.

And Shirley Jones as the nice but naughty librarian raised theater temperatures several degrees. Which reminds me that the other day I overheard a woman rebuking her male counterpart, "Listen, stop bugging me about wanting to see The Librarian or you're going to need The Nurse."

And finally, the next time you watch Ben-Hur, watch carefully the scene in the Roman Armory when Ben Hur (Charlton Heston) sees his old friend Messala (Stephen Boyd) for the first time since their youth. Boyd wrote many years later that he played the scene as if he were gay and had the hots for Charlton Heston. His gestures and the looks he gives Heston are priceless once you have that insight. Heston didn't know about it and played the scene totally, well, straight.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #63
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
No talk of Paint Your Wagon, featuring a singing part for Clint Eastwood and a Mormon selling one of his wives?
Yeah, what the hell? Most of my early opinions of you people were based on that movie.

Which reminds me of a question that arises every time I watch Paint Your Wagon: Who had it worse from a sloppy seconds perspective, Lee Marvin or Clint Eastwood? While the answer may seem obvious at first give it a bit more thought. I think you'll find the answer isn't so simple.

Last edited by landpoke; 03-27-2008 at 07:42 PM.
landpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #64
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Yeah, what the hell? Most of my early opinions of you people were based on that movie.

Which reminds me of a question that arises every time I watch Paint Your Wagon: Who had it worse from a sloppy seconds perspective, Lee Marvin or Clint Eastwood? While the answer may seem obvious at first give it a bit more thought. I think you'll find the question isn't so simple.
I think Partner got the raw end of the deal. There is no way she could be sleeping with the Lee Marvin character and not pick up a venereal disease.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #65
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I'm still fanning myself after reading your SoM recap, and I'm breathless in anticipation of "The Music Man" summary. Start with the railcar scene when all the men sing repeatedly, and ever more slowly, "and when the man dances, certainly boys, the piper pays him...", followed by "yesssssss, sir, yesssssss, sir" while steam (evocative of San Francisco's Sutro Bathouse) escapes from the trains brakes.

And Shirley Jones as the nice but naughty librarian raised theater temperatures several degrees. Which reminds me that the other day I overheard a woman rebuking her male counterpart, "Listen, stop bugging me about wanting to see The Librarian or you're going to need The Nurse."

And finally, the next time you watch Ben-Hur, watch carefully the scene in the Roman Armory when Ben Hur (Charlton Heston) sees his old friend Messala (Stephen Boyd) for the first time since their youth. Boyd wrote many years later that he played the scene as if he were gay and had the hots for Charlton Heston. His gestures and the looks he gives Heston are priceless once you have that insight. Heston didn't know about it and played the scene totally, well, straight.
Somebody was rebuking you about wanting to see Barbara Gordon?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #66
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I note you failed to address my suggestion regarding the soundtrack of South Pacific. It's true, isn't it? You spend your free time belting out Bali Hai and I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair. You don't have to hide it. That's after all pretty impressive for a chimp.
I actually played cello in an orchesta that played the score during production of South Pacific.

Yes, I am that talented.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #67
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

The cleavage in "Brigadoon" makes that one fine movie.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote