cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Just a guess here, but you never actually read Lord of the Rings, did you?
I am with SU here. I think the LOR movies were better than the books. For example, that Tom Bombadil episode in the first book was beyond silly. And all those poems in the "elfin" language were painfully boring.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am with SU here. I think the LOR movies were better than the books. For example, that Tom Bombadil episode in the first book was beyond silly. And all those poems in the "elfin" language were painfully boring.
I will give you your opinion because you actually read the books. You're terribly wrong, of course, as the books are vastly superior, even compared to the excellent movies, but you have earned the right to have the opinion. Skimming does not count.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Quote:
I will give you your opinion because you actually read the books. You're terribly wrong, of course, as the books are vastly superior, even compared to the excellent movies, but you have earned the right to have the opinion. Skimming does not count.
Frankly, it's difficult to compare the one medium to the other. The one aspect in which the films surpass the original material is in their use of women as substantial characters. The lack of strong female figures has always been a weakness in Tolkien's work, and one that particularly annoys me. I was impressed with how the film increased the presence of the women while remaining true to the spirit of the work.

Honestly, I found the films uncomfortably - almost painfully - long. And Gollum didn't look right at all.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Frankly, it's difficult to compare the one medium to the other. The one aspect in which the films surpass the original material is in their use of women as substantial characters. The lack of strong female figures has always been a weakness in Tolkien's work, and one that particularly annoys me. I was impressed with how the film increased the presence of the women while remaining true to the spirit of the work.

Honestly, I found the films uncomfortably - almost painfully - long. And Gollum didn't look right at all.
Good points. Gollum wasn't right, but I ended up living with it. It did increase women characters. But on balance, My opinion is the books are better. Much better.

My real point here is only that skimming hte books, especially books of this type (fanatsy that seek to immerse you in another world) does not qualify you to make this sort fo evaluaiton.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good points. Gollum wasn't right, but I ended up living with it. It did increase women characters. But on balance, My opinion is the books are better. Much better.

My real point here is only that skimming hte books, especially books of this type (fanatsy that seek to immerse you in another world) does not qualify you to make this sort fo evaluaiton.
I would respond to your post but I only skimmed it. kee hee!

I understand your point. It seems like a given, but maybe that's just me. I find it hard to believe Seattle's never read Tolkien. Surely he's pulling our collective leg.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Creekster is, of course right but for some reason I just want to disagree with him about his literary views. I think it goes back to the pain he caused when he disparaged Pride and Prejudice.. Oh well, at least he didn't say anything about Persuasion.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Creekster is, of course right but for some reason I just want to disagree with him about his literary views. I think it goes back to the pain he caused when he disparaged Pride and Prejudice.. Oh well, at least he didn't say anything about Persuasion.
asking whether the Pride and Prejudice movie is better than the book is like asking if you prefer to have your eyes put out with a red hot poker or by a wild animal.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I would respond to your post but I only skimmed it. kee hee!

I understand your point. It seems like a given, but maybe that's just me. I find it hard to believe Seattle's never read Tolkien. Surely he's pulling our collective leg.
People have critiqued the Tolkien books for a lack of feminine virtues, but as a boy that aspect didn't even affect me.

However, creekster is wise beyond his immense years in recognizing the strength of the fantasy is the immersion in another world made real and plausible through its descriptive power. And the fact that Tolkien merges certain aspects of Celtic and Saxon tongue with some Old English to form his new languages is genius. The linguist in me has always been amazed at the ease with which he did that.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #19
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
asking whether the Pride and Prejudice movie is better than the book is like asking if you prefer to have your eyes put out with a red hot poker or by a wild animal.
Oh the anguish; another day of melancholy awaits me.

You're slipping because in this case it is painfully obvious that you are only half right.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #20
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

LOTR books were much better. I liked the movies, but like Barbara said, they were painfully long. With The Fellowship especially, it just seemed like he was trying to cram too much into the movie.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote