cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Is it really a documentary if the director makes no attempt to be objective?
I think I went over this one with Rocky before.

A documentary does not have to be objective. In fact, most are not. They all contain some sort of agenda or message, even if it is not political.

A documentary simply documents that which is noteworthy.

Thus, when people complain that Michael Moore's documentaries are biased, they are basically saying, "Hey, I have never taken a basic film studies class."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think I went over this one with Rocky before.

A documentary does not have to be objective. In fact, most are not. They all contain some sort of agenda or message, even if it is not political.

A documentary simply documents that which is noteworthy.

Thus, when people complain that Michael Moore's documentaries are biased, they are basically saying, "Hey, I have never taken a basic film studies class."
I don't remember you teaching Rocky this. And I've never studied film.

I've just thought that a documentary tells it like it is, not told how the directer thinks it is.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:46 AM   #33
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone for some excellent recommendations.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I own your #2 and thought it was excellent. I have no earthly idea why that was rated R, do you? The entire film is climbing scenes.
Intensity? Who knows.

It's an incredible story.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:57 AM   #35
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Ha. reading each other;s minds, I see.

Good call on Dogtown and Z Boys.

I LOVE that one. So cool to see the birth of skate culture in SoCal and how it spread.
Directed by Stacy Peralta. I will definitely check it out.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 AM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
The 'American Experience' series on PBS is consistently excellent.
Definitely agree.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #37
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I think leaving Ken Burns out is the right thing to do. I haven't seen his other documentaries but I wouldn't bother after watching the horrible disservice he did to jazz with that piece of crap hack job documentary on jazz. I would have been fine it the documentary was "Jazz According to an Incredibly Narrow Minded View of Reactionary Jackasses."
It's a shame you haven't seen his other documentaries. They are very, very good.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #38
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It's a shame you haven't seen his other documentaries. They are very, very good.
I agree. Jazz was awful but his others have been terrific.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 AM   #39
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
How about Michael Jordans: Come fly with me?

Is that considered a documentary? I love that movie.
I used to watch that one all the time. I think I got it with my subscription to SI or something.

Good call on Hoop Dreams whoever said that. Great movie.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #40
Jennerstein

Jennerstein

Of the documentaries I've seen recently, I enjoyed Spellbound, the King of Kong, and New York Doll. I watched New York Doll in the theater at the UCI Edwards cinema and really liked it how it captured the Mormon experience.

There was also a documentary on Vietnam that I watched for my History of Civ class at BYU. The class had optional movie days on Friday, and most of the class went because the film choices were so interesting (Manon of the Spring, Wings of Desire, etc). I don't remember which Vietnam collection it was. There were a few DVDs, and I snoozed through some of it.

We sat down one Friday to watch one of the later chapters. The first footage we saw was of a Vietcong getting executed pointblank range, the body falling to the floor with blood squirting out of his temple like a fountain.

It was the most disturbing thing that I'd ever seen. All the R-rated shootings, stabbings, beheadings that I'd previously viewed were under the supposition that it was fake Hollywood acting. This was something completely different. It was my first time seeing video of a real human being executed.

As soon as that clip ended, the professor (Professor Keele) immediately stopped the film. He'd forgotten that the beginning of that chapter contained such footage. He apologized profusely for not giving us prior warning of the graphic nature of the video.

Now that I think about it, I'm grateful for the maturity of the students in that class. We accepted the professor's apology and continued withthe rest of class. To my knowledge, there weren't any BYU students that complained about the footage. I've known a few students/members who would have made a big fuss if they'd seen something like that while attending the Y.

There was a lot of good class discussion that day too about war and its effects. It was definitely a memorable college experience.

Below is the closest thing on Amazon I could find. I'm not sure if that's what we watched in class, but based on the users comments, it contains some of the same footage:

http://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Minds-C...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2
Jennerstein is offline   Reply With Quote