cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #41
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
That's funny re. Motley Crue. I'm not sure anyone took them seriously as legit devil music (well, besides moms and Tipper Gore).
I think the devil worship angle had to be Mick Mars' idea. Dude still scares me.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 AM   #42
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
You really aren't following this argument are you?

Please explain Beane's style of management. You seem to have such great knowledge of it, but you cannot actually explain it.

Plus, I wasn't arguing that the A's have actually won a World Series. I'm arguing that winning the World Series requires a lot of luck.
Winning a world series requires good players, playing well at the right time of the year. If you call that luck then I guess you are right. Boston has just been really lucky the past few years.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #43
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I forgot about WASP, but really good call on that one.

I was never freaked out by RUSH. It is hard to feel Satan's influence when you are laughing at the music/vocals.

Another cool freak-out: warning on Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil: "This Record May Contain Backward Messages." Also, the pentagram is really Satan's headshot......his two horns, his chin, and the two points on his cape.
So true about Rush. Elves really are not Satan's minions, are they? I usually had thoughts of cookies made in trees when I listened to Rush.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:25 AM   #44
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
My BIL and I got a good laugh out of them playing Third Eye Blind's "Semi Charmed Life". Whoever was in charge of the tunes at LES didn't listen too close to that one.
Never thought I would hear the words, "wishing to be the friction in your jeans" come out of the sound system at LES, but sure enough I did at the Wyoming game. It felt so right though, at the university where jean jammin' was born.

Also, I remember well a trip to Idaho to drop my sister off at ricks in 88' we were driving through yellowstone on the way back and I had And Justice For All in the walkman. my dad asked what I was listening to. I told him, he asked for the tape, stuck it into the Nissan minivan's tape deck. 3 seconds in Hetfield dropped an F-bomb and the pavement of yellowstone was the tapes new home. Funny, I kept the metal in me hidden for so long by washing my Iron Maiden/Motley Crew/Insert Devil band here shirts at a friends house and not putting them on until I was 3 blocks from home.

No metal outfit was complete until you had your desert flap hat on with at least 20 pieces of flair on it.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #45
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Never thought I would hear the words, "wishing to be the friction in your jeans" come out of the sound system at LES, but sure enough I did at the Wyoming game. It felt so right though, at the university where jean jammin' was born.

Also, I remember well a trip to Idaho to drop my sister off at ricks in 88' we were driving through yellowstone on the way back and I had And Justice For All in the walkman. my dad asked what I was listening to. I told him, he asked for the tape, stuck it into the Nissan minivan's tape deck. 3 seconds in Hetfield dropped an F-bomb and the pavement of yellowstone was the tapes new home. Funny, I kept the metal in me hidden for so long by washing my Iron Maiden/Motley Crew/Insert Devil band here shirts at a friends house and not putting them on until I was 3 blocks from home.

No metal outfit was complete until you had your desert flap hat on with at least 20 pieces of flair on it.
i remember those hats. the French foreign legion ones?

Some distinct metal iconography from the 80s that I remember in jr high and HS:

1. Iron Mainden t shirts...anything with Eddie on it
2. One particular Accept t shirt...said "Balls to the Wall" and had a pic of a hand putting two round balls against a brick wall
3. Def Leppard sleeveless Union Jack t shirts
4. Hard core metal guys wore Ozzy t shirts...esp Diary of a Madman
5. metal chicks that would wear those Tonto leather moccasins that went about halfway up their calves.
6. metal chicks would also wear these skin tight jeans with this zipper that went all the way from front to back. hard to explain, impossible to forget
7. younger metal dudes (esp the skinny ones) would wear the parachute pants, always tight....lots of zippers.
8. sleeveless mesh shirts
9. A Krokus t shirt that said "If It's Too Loud" on one side, and "You're Too Old" on the other
10. Speaking of t shirts, a t shirt that said "Yngwie Who?" on one side, and "Yngwie F***ing Malmsteen" on the other....only the word was not edited.
11. Velcro wallets with band logos on them
12. denim jackets with patches, esp lined with faux lambs wool
13. brush in back pocket (not to be confused with the nerdy RUSH fans, who had the black plastic comb in back pocket, played Dungeons and Dragons at lunch, etc...)

what else am I missing, children of the 80s?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #46
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
i remember those hats. the French foreign legion ones?

Some distinct metal iconography from the 80s that I remember in jr high and HS:

1. Iron Mainden t shirts...anything with Eddie on it
2. One particular Accept t shirt...said "Balls to the Wall" and had a pic of a hand putting two round balls against a brick wall
3. Def Leppard sleeveless Union Jack t shirts
4. Hard core metal guys wore Ozzy t shirts...esp Diary of a Madman
5. metal chicks that would wear those Tonto leather moccasins that went about halfway up their calves.
6. metal chicks would also wear these skin tight jeans with this zipper that went all the way from front to back. hard to explain, impossible to forget
7. younger metal dudes (esp the skinny ones) would wear the parachute pants, always tight....lots of zippers.
8. sleeveless mesh shirts
9. A Krokus t shirt that said "If It's Too Loud" on one side, and "You're Too Old" on the other
10. Speaking of t shirts, a t shirt that said "Yngwie Who?" on one side, and "Yngwie F***ing Malmsteen" on the other....only the word was not edited.
11. Velcro wallets with band logos on them
12. denim jackets with patches, esp lined with faux lambs wool
13. brush in back pocket (not to be confused with the nerdy RUSH fans, who had the black plastic comb in back pocket, played Dungeons and Dragons at lunch, etc...)

Those weren't my 80s.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #47
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Those weren't my 80s.
mine either. but I remembered them.

If you want to talk Depeche Mode t shirts, I am all for it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:30 AM   #48
Runner Coug

Quote:
501's with holes in the knees and butt
Nike high tops, laces loose and not tied
Earring in the left ear
Old 10-01-2008, 03:31 AM   #49
Runner Coug

Quote:

I wore a Black Celebration shirt to 9th grade once and caught hell. Never wore it again.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:34 AM   #50
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I was never much of a t-shirt guy, but I did have a ton of pins on my cool Members Only jacket.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote