cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Stop cheating. She said one name.

And how can you possibly argue that John Lennon had not hit his prime yet?
She didn't really say prime, she said before his/her time. Lennon's death was untimely, and deprived us of the chance to spend far too much money on occassional concerts to listen to someone that was disinterested and who had lost his chops but had nothing better to do becasue, you know, after a while even an ar-teest can't take much more Oko Wailing.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Didn't Hank have a long career?
No. Hank Sr is an excellent choice and one I considered myself before arriving on my final selection. (I'm hoping Venkman wasn't joking. I didn't imagine many Western fans around here.)
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #13
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Didn't Hank have a long career?
Not really. He had about a five year career at which he was at the top of the country charts. #1 hit after #1 hit (and he wrote all his own music). He's the Elvis of country music who, for better or worse, he took country mainstream. His musical influence is huge, not just for country, but for rock and roll as well. There may not have been an Elvis without Hank. A tragic figure who died at age 29. His life would make a great movie.

If you can't tell, I'm obsessed with the guy and his music.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Not really. He had about a five year career at which he was at the top of the country charts. #1 hit after #1 hit (and he wrote all his own music). He's the Elvis of country music who, for better or worse, he took country mainstream. His musical influence is huge, not just for country, but for rock and roll as well. There may not have been an Elvis without Hank. A tragic figure who died at age 29. His life would make a great movie.

29? Wow, I didn't know that.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I totally agree, Venk. The only mark against Hank Sr. is that he loosed Hank Jr. upon us. On the other hand, since his son was an infant at Sr's death, we can't hold Sr responsible for his son's career.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #16
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
No. Hank Sr is an excellent choice and one I considered myself before arriving on my final selection. (I'm hoping Venkman wasn't joking. I didn't imagine many Western fans around here.)
No joke Babs. I'm a fairly recent country fan who wouldn't have been caught dead listening to it growing up. My country conversion was a slow process that started 10 years ago but progressed VERY slowly. I was in denial for years but I finally had to be honest with myself about a year ago and admit that yes, I am a country music fan.

A disclaimer for country music haters: no, I don't like all country music, and yes there is alot of crap out there (just like any genre).
Old 05-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No joke Babs. I'm a fairly recent country fan who wouldn't have been caught dead listening to it growing up. My country conversion was a slow process that started 10 years ago but progressed VERY slowly. I was in denial for years but I finally had to be honest with myself about a year ago and admit that yes, I am a country music fan.

A disclaimer for country music haters: no, I don't like all country music, and yes there is alot of crap out there (just like any genre).
I am admittedly biased, but the best country music comes from Austin. I can't stand 99% of what comes out of Nashville these days.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #18
Venkman

Quote:
I totally agree, Venk. The only mark against Hank Sr. is that he loosed Hank Jr. upon us. On the other hand, since his son was an infant at Sr's death, we can't hold Sr responsible for his son's career.
I blame the controlling wife for Hank Jr. Forcing Bocephus to mimic his daddy for all those years, it's no wonder Jr. rebelled and started making crappy music.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #19
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
No contest - Jim Morrison (warts and all).

IMO, and this is sincere, not snide, Morrison's status was enhanced by his death. Not sure we would talk about him much as an artist if he hadn't died when and how he did. Even now the doors music is sort of cartoony, but the legend of Morrison is riveting.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
creekster

Quote:

Marian the coy librarian; who is your selcection? Did I miss it?