cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 04-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I like a lot of Japanese stuff that is an acquired taste: mugicha, ume boshi (pickled plum), natto (fermented soy beans). When I eat batayaki or sukiyaki or shabu shabu, I like to dip my meat in raw egg.

I saw a show not that long ago, where Japanese people catch small fish. They salt them, then bury them in rice, raw. And then the next year they dig them out and eat them after they have fermented. That looked interesting.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Green Tea (as I understand) is a formiddable weapon against cancer. They've also discovered that coffee is full of anti-oxydents. Not to mention the salutary effects of 2-3 drinks a week.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I know you would love to say that caffeine is good for you, but the evidence is increasingly against it.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/341/22/1688

Quote:
The article by Klebanoff and colleagues1 in this issue of the Journal adds to the growing body of literature examining the association of caffeine intake with adverse pregnancy outcomes and developmental problems. This study reports an association between spontaneous abortions, primarily in the second trimester, and unusually high levels of consumption of caffeine, equivalent to more than six cups of coffee a day.

Unlike previous studies, in which exposure was estimated from the women's reports of the amount of caffeinated beverages they consumed, Klebanoff et al. used a biologic marker of caffeine intake, the levels of the caffeine metabolite paraxanthine in serum, to estimate exposure. Estimation of exposure on the basis of women's own reports is problematic, both because of potentially inaccurate or biased reports and because the amount of caffeine in a cup of tea or coffee differs greatly, depending on the method of preparation.2 The use of a biologic marker of exposure may help to reduce misclassification. Nevertheless, a single serum measurement, as used in the study by Klebanoff et al., may not accurately reflect a woman's exposure during the critical period of fetal development, since in early pregnancy the half-life of caffeine is short (approximately three to seven hours) and caffeine intake may vary markedly during pregnancy because of nausea and food aversion.

Given the results of the study by Klebanoff et al.,1 can we now conclude that the consumption of caffeine at usual levels during pregnancy is safe? The weight of the evidence still suggests otherwise. A recent meta-analysis3 concluded that there is a small increase in the crude risk of both spontaneous abortion (odds ratio, 1.4; 95 percent confidence interval, 1.3 to 1.5) and low birth weight (odds ratio, 1.5; 95 percent confidence interval, 1.4 to 1.6) in women who consume more than 150 mg of caffeine, or roughly one to two cups of coffee, per day. Furthermore, on the basis of studies in animals, spontaneous abortion and low birth weight may not be the most sensitive end points to use in determining the in utero effects of caffeine consumption.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I know you would love to say that caffeine is good for you, but the evidence is increasingly against it.

I'm not pregnant.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Since you couldn't drink tap-water in Korea, pretty much everyone made "Barley-tea" when they boiled their water to improve the taste.

It was pretty much like drinking water filtered through cardboard.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm not pregnant.
No wonder you are so slow:

Quote:
Investigations on the effect of caffeine on cerebral venous vessel contrast by using susceptibility-weighted imaging (SWI) at 1.5, 3 and 7 T.

Sedlacik J, Helm K, Rauscher A, Stadler J, Mentzel HJ, Reichenbach JR.

Medical Physics Group, Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Friedrich Schiller University, Philosophenweg 3, Jena, Germany.

Caffeine lowers the blood oxygenation level-dependent (BOLD) signal by acting as an adenosine antagonist, thus decreasing the cerebral blood flow (CBF). The aims of this study were to demonstrate the sensitivity of susceptibility-weighted imaging (SWI) to caffeine-induced changes in CBF and to investigate the time course and magnitude of signal change in caffeine-habituated and -abstinent volunteers. High-resolution susceptibility-weighted images were acquired with both groups at 1.5 T using a fully velocity compensated 3D gradient echo sequence. Following a native scan, subjects were given a tablet containing 200 mg of caffeine. Scans were repeated for about 1 h and the acquired 3D data sets were co-registered to each other. BOLD signal changes of several venous vessels were analyzed in dedicated ROIs. Maps of relative signal change clearly visualized the caffeine-induced signal response of veins. Only very weak signal changes of about -2+/-1% were found in both, grey and white matter and -1+/-2% in the ventricles. Maximum signal decrease of veins occurred 40-50 min after caffeine ingestion. The signal decrease was -16.5+/-6.5% and -22.7+/-8.3% for the caffeine users group and abstainers, respectively. The signal difference of both groups was statistically significant (Student's t-test, t=2.16, p=0.021). Data acquired at 1.5, 3 and 7 T with echo times scaled to the respective field strength display very similar temporal signal behavior.

You don't have blood flowing to your brain. Are you a lush too?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I like Mugicha. Cold, with no sweeteners or any other additives.
Is there any other way to drink it?

Warm Kombu-cha is nice.

Otherwise, I hate all teas, herbal or otherwise.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Me too. We call it "cigarette butt tea".
I used so say the Japanese had found a way to make burnt water.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I like a lot of Japanese stuff that is an acquired taste: mugicha, ume boshi (pickled plum), natto (fermented soy beans). When I eat batayaki or sukiyaki or shabu shabu, I like to dip my meat in raw egg.
shabu shabu. excellent call.

that is what I doing for lunch today. thanks for the idea.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #20
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
shabu shabu.
My favorite INXS album.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote