cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 11-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Wasn't even really close in 2008? Did you even follow the primaries? Man, you are dense.

Why wouldn't he be a viable candidate in 2012? Being removed from public office for 3 years will probably help him.
I would guess that Prop 8 in California would be a big deal for the "No Romney" crowd.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Many people talk about wanting to see a Reagan style candidate. Someone who is fiscally conservative, but socially moderate, or at least socially quiet. Is there a potential candidate like that? Is Newt as close as it gets?
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
How is Mitt going to be a viable candidate in 2012?

All his negatives from 2008 are still there....and by 2011, he will have been removed from any public office for 3 years.
maybe he'll get exed?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I would guess that Prop 8 in California would be a big deal for the "No Romney" crowd.
No Republican is going to win CA anyway.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Many people talk about wanting to see a Reagan style candidate. Someone who is fiscally conservative, but socially moderate, or at least socially quiet. Is there a potential candidate like that? Is Newt as close as it gets?
That was Giuliani, but he already blew it.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
That was Giuliani, but he already blew it.
Giuliani was a bit too socially liberal to be Reaganesque.

Newt would be a terrific candidate.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #17
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Well, it's not the GOP's say. It's the voters'. If the DNC had had its way, Hillary would have been the nominee.

And Jindal, I don't know what to think. He's what the party desperately needs, but I just don't see America supporting two racial-minority nominees in a row. The white guys get freaked out.
I basically meant the GOP primary voters anyway (yeah, I know people can't read my mind).

But there are also some kingmakers within the GOP and they went for McCain in a big way at a decisive point when Romney could have still made a comeback. I'm talking guys like Phil Gramm here. It may not mean much to the Democrats, but for the GOP, the establishment candidate usually gets the nomination.

I see absolutely no problem with America supporting another racial minority candidate. Racism played no adverse role for Obama and I don't see it playing a role in the event of Jindal entering the 2012 race. Sure West Virginia might be pissed off but that's about it.

Romney could be the establishment guy in 2012, it certainly won't be Huckabee or Palin. Jindal, if he enters, would be the young upstart.

Romney certainly made some big mistakes in the 2008 primaries, mostly by trying to be all things to the various groups of GOP primary voters in the different states. Simply put, you can't appeal to the Iowa voters and the New Hampshire voters at the same time. McCain understood this and staked his candidacy on New Hampshire. Romney appeared weak by losing both contests after pouring in a ton of money. He tried to cover all of his bases within the GOP interest groups (social conservatives, gun nuts, fiscal conservatives, etc). But the thing about Romney was that he was consistently running 2nd in the early primaries and actually won a few. Huckabee didn't have as broad of an appeal. Romney's set for 2012 to be the establishment candidate and possibly the frontrunner.

If Huckabee ends up in the frontrunner position then the GOP will have effectively jumped the shark. The GOP won two presidential elections while being married to the religious right and they were both by extremely thin margins (and in fact lost the popular vote in 2000). The GOP then got soundly beat last week. The social conservatism angle needs to change to a states rights angle and then a reputation for fiscal conservatism, competant gov't management, emphasis on the power of the individual and limited gov't needs to be reestablished in a big way if the GOP hopes to ever make any headway on the West Coast, Northeast, or Upper Midwest.

George Bush's "compassionate conservatism" is a loser in the long run. Any effort to outdemocrat the democrats with spending and entitlements will just relegate the party to minority status on a permanent basis.
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Henry View Post
George Bush's "compassionate conservatism" is a loser in the long run.
Absolutely. I think the public has caught on that compassionate conservatism is neither compassionate nor conservative.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting perspective four years later.

In other news, on Dec 22 Tagg Romney reported to the Boston Globe that his father never wanted to be president in the first place. Mitt has yet to correct him.

Still flip-flopping.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mitt may have been caught up in the idea that it was his destiny to be President. I.e. you think God has a plan for you, and you are blindsided when that plan does not work out.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote