cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 12-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vs. Wyoming

1. Tanner's final gift to Hill was to have such a monstrously ugly performance, that we all immediately had to take back every bad thing we said about Hill this season. Wow! Tanner was awful! One of the worst performances I've ever seen by a BYU QB.

2. Serious questions about Ty Detmer's ability to coach an offense are in play.

3. BYU's pass rush. Non-existent. Embarrassing.

4. Jamaal Williams. Doesn't get as much love as he should. Being the all-time best BYU RB and basically winning the game for BYU yesterday. I guess it's probably because he's non-LDS.

5. I scanned the mobile pages for SI and ESPN after the game. Couldn't find mention of the BYU game anywhere. Not a single link. BYU football registers about as much as lacrosse on the national consciousness right now.

6. We are not better than the MWC. We are MWC material.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
1. Tanner's final gift to Hill was to have such a monstrously ugly performance, that we all immediately had to take back every bad thing we said about Hill this season. Wow! Tanner was awful! One of the worst performances I've ever seen by a BYU QB.

4. Jamaal Williams. Doesn't get as much love as he should. Being the all-time best BYU RB and basically winning the game for BYU yesterday. I guess it's probably because he's non-LDS.

5. I scanned the mobile pages for SI and ESPN after the game. Couldn't find mention of the BYU game anywhere. Not a single link. BYU football registers about as much as lacrosse on the national consciousness right now.

Was this Tanner's first start this season?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Was this Tanner's first start this season?
Yes. And he looked like he had never played in college game before. That bad.

One pass, he just threw straight up in the air, worse than a wounded duck. Was intercepted

Did the same thing with his touchdown pass, that bounced around like a pinball, and out of pure luck was caught for a TD. Should have been intercepted.

I think lack of playing time and suspect coaching is involved. But one wonders about Mangum himself and his level of commitment. I hope there's an open competition for the job next season, because the message needs to be sent loud and clear. This kind of bullcrap is not acceptable.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Yes. And he looked like he had never played in college game before. That bad.

One pass, he just threw straight up in the air, worse than a wounded duck. Was intercepted

Did the same thing with his touchdown pass, that bounced around like a pinball, and out of pure luck was caught for a TD. Should have been intercepted.

I think lack of playing time and suspect coaching is involved. But one wonders about Mangum himself and his level of commitment. I hope there's an open competition for the job next season, because the message needs to be sent loud and clear. This kind of bullcrap is not acceptable.
I think Wyoming's special teams was as bad. I saw highlights of the first half and it looked like bloopers.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It was a painful game to watch.

BYU has a long road to improve so that it can compete at a higher level. We don't want BYU competing with the average or below average P5 programs, but the better ones.

Tanner looked awful, despite one month to prepare. At the beginning of the season, I was very doubtful about Ty's jump from high school to college and nothing that occurred this season has allayed my fears.

Subtract Jamaal from the offense, and you have Weber State. There was absolutely nothing in that offense that is worthy of being watched or called a team. I have nothing against the players, but they aren't producing.

The Defensive Line needs a serious talent upgrade.

Mike, we may not see BYU competitive again, as it slides into oblivion. The MWC is simply an untenable financial situation.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It was a painful game to watch.

BYU has a long road to improve so that it can compete at a higher level. We don't want BYU competing with the average or below average P5 programs, but the better ones.
Losing on the final play of the game while on offense in front of the other team's end zone would easily fall under the definition of "compete with" for any reasonable person. W. Virginia and Utah finished in the top 20 CFP rankings, so they would also be defined as "better P5 teams" by any reasonable definition. Those are the only P5 teams we played who had "better" seasons and we were competitive despite not even having a very good offense. There really were some positives from this season which Mike didn't have a hard time identifying earlier in this thread and before the game last night made him grumpy.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:51 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Losing on the final play of the game while on offense in front of the other team's end zone would easily fall under the definition of "compete with" for any reasonable person. W. Virginia and Utah finished in the top 20 CFP rankings, so they would also be defined as "better P5 teams" by any reasonable definition. Those are the only P5 teams we played who had "better" seasons and we were competitive despite not even having a very good offense. There really were some positives from this season which Mike didn't have a hard time identifying earlier in this thread and before the game last night made him grumpy.
My definition of "compete with" is defeating. I competed with somebody if I defeat them.

If I lose, then I am behind them.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:11 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's just not a good product. It's not interesting. It's not good football.

We used to be the smart team.

We've been a dumb team for a long time now.

We can only win when we have the physical and athletic advantage. If it's a matter of game planning and execution, we are screwed.

If Mangum comes out looking like a clown again next season, there will be a mutiny on their hands.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:27 AM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
It's just not a good product. It's not interesting. It's not good football.

We used to be the smart team.

We've been a dumb team for a long time now.

We can only win when we have the physical and athletic advantage. If it's a matter of game planning and execution, we are screwed.

If Mangum comes out looking like a clown again next season, there will be a mutiny on their hands.
I worried that Ty was in over his head. It appears after the first year that my assessment may be correct.

Why did we bring back Cahoon? He did nothing in his first stint. Mahe and Unga did passable with Jamaal at RB.

The offense was dull, relatively unproductive and inefficient.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:37 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

"Let's huddle, slow things down, then run plays where everyone looks lost."