cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 02:07 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
In defense of Beck, he's had to toil during some fairly difficult times at BYU, little of which is his fault. He may not be great, but a decent supporting cast the past few years would have done wonders for his W/L record.
I can agree with this. He certainly has not had the supporting cast that the great BYU QBs have had.

I saw an interesting stat about Beck in today's Trib. He's something like 2-8 in games decided by 7 or less points. Again, he hasn't had the same personnel as other QB's at BYU, but that is a very telling thing.

Archaea mentioned Olsen having set BYU back. I can agree with this as well, but I think that has more to do with Crowton than Olsen. Crowton was just flat out bad for BYU football.

OTH, I for one am happy that Utah doesn't have to deal with Olsen for the next 3 years. He looked unbeatable against the Utes Saturday. What a player.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

BYU football has been so much easier to stomach ever since I began to believe that they will never be a consistently good team again. Oh, sure they'll compete for the MWC and go to a bowl game here and there, but the days of being a perenial top 25 team are gone. Maybe once every 15 years or so they'll be special, but 1984 will never happen again and is fading further and further away.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:10 AM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I can agree with this. He certainly has not had the supporting cast that the great BYU QBs have had.

I saw an interesting stat about Beck in today's Trib. He's something like 2-8 in games decided by 7 or less points. Again, he hasn't had the same personnel as other QB's at BYU, but that is a very telling thing.

Archaea mentioned Olsen having set BYU back. I can agree with this as well, but I think that has more to do with Crowton than Olsen. Crowton was just flat out bad for BYU football.

OTH, I for one am happy that Utah doesn't have to deal with Olsen for the next 3 years. He looked unbeatable against the Utes Saturday. What a player.

The supporting cast around Beck sucks. Even worse is the playcalling. I am not a fan of Grimes' splits on the OL and not a fan of Anae's offense. I think he catches too much grief. I mean what more could Beck have done? He's not going to turn into Vince Young and run wild on a team.

And Olson looked great. I am happy for him. His mistake was coming to BYU in the first place. If I were him I would have transferred too. Then again if I was 5 star blue chip prospect BYU would not have been in my top 5.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Beck's problems are two sided:

a. The play calling is bad. The coaching staff believes he is a very, very good QB, so they call 2-1 pass plays hoping he is going to make magic happen.

b. He makes some real bad decisions. A third year starting QB should not be dumping it off into the flats, or to his emergency receiver for a three yard gain when it's 3rd and 8. He does this consistently and frequently.

I truly believe Beck is one of those dudes who is afraid to fail so instead of pushing his abilities in stressful situations, he falls back into what is comfortable.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Beck's problems are two sided:

a. The play calling is bad. The coaching staff believes he is a very, very good QB, so they call 2-1 pass plays hoping he is going to make magic happen.

b. He makes some real bad decisions. A third year starting QB should not be dumping it off into the flats, or to his emergency receiver for a three yard gain when it's 3rd and 8. He does this consistently and frequently.

I truly believe Beck is one of those dudes who is afraid to fail so instead of pushing his abilities in stressful situations, he falls back into what is comfortable.

I agree with your conclusion. I think fear of failure neutralizes Beck too much. I do believe however that the reason BYU passed much more than running against U of A was that BYU was unable to run and I also think that BYU was unable to go down the field against U of A because the outside receivers could not get open.

Regardless, if BYU can establish the run and or go down the field to their outside guys, they will score in bunches. I think BC is the only team on the schedule who can stop one or the other, perhaps Utah might be able to stop BYU's rush but that game is so far off a lot can change.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:43 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96
I agree with your conclusion. I think fear of failure neutralizes Beck too much. I do believe however that the reason BYU passed much more than running against U of A was that BYU was unable to run and I also think that BYU was unable to go down the field against U of A because the outside receivers could not get open.

Regardless, if BYU can establish the run and or go down the field to their outside guys, they will score in bunches. I think BC is the only team on the schedule who can stop one or the other, perhaps Utah might be able to stop BYU's rush but that game is so far off a lot can change.
Well given the watered down schedule, it's no great surprise most teams won't be so adept at making the offense look limp like an eighty year old noodle.

BYU is now afraid to win. I can agree with that conclusion.