cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default YM lesson on "purposes of life"

I found it interesting that in the lesson, many things were said by the teacher. Faith was about the seventh thing mentioned. Other things were "being tested", "covenants", and others.

THen he talked about how we can get to the celestial kingdom. His answer was "by keeping our covenants."

I raised my hand and said "but none of us will keep our covenants. We will all break them. We will all fall short."

This lesson reminded me of how far typical Mormon belief is from typical Christian belief.

Nowhere in the lesson was it said that the purpose of life is to accept and take advantage of Christ's atonement. Former member of stake presidency, the bishop, and bishop's counselor were all listening.

The typical Mormon belief is that if you work really hard at keeping your covenants, and live as sin-free a life as possible, you will go to the Celestial kingdom. The problem with this system is that it doesn't give Christ any credit. We theoretically believe in Christ's atonement carrying us through I suppose, but it seems like it is a footnote or something so assumed that it isn't mentioned.

We don't talk enough of being born again of the spirit (the verbage probably offends us because it is too similar to evangelicals). We don't talk enough about being "in the Spirit" about YM and YW having a born-again-type spiritual experience, etc.

Sometimes it feels like we are a Christ-focused church, but not really a Christ-centered church.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

So many of these church experiences you and others share are so off-the-chart weird to me. I've never seen this behavior in any of the wards I've ever attended.

Maybe you need to move to Zion.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Maybe you need to move to Zion.
You make an interesting point here. All these nutty mission field Mormons and their anecdotes. And they've mostly been educated at BYU too.

But then, BYU is in Zion.

Never mind.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:45 AM   #4
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I found it interesting that in the lesson, many things were said by the teacher. Faith was about the seventh thing mentioned. Other things were "being tested", "covenants", and others.

THen he talked about how we can get to the celestial kingdom. His answer was "by keeping our covenants."

I raised my hand and said "but none of us will keep our covenants. We will all break them. We will all fall short."

This lesson reminded me of how far typical Mormon belief is from typical Christian belief.

Nowhere in the lesson was it said that the purpose of life is to accept and take advantage of Christ's atonement. Former member of stake presidency, the bishop, and bishop's counselor were all listening.

The typical Mormon belief is that if you work really hard at keeping your covenants, and live as sin-free a life as possible, you will go to the Celestial kingdom. The problem with this system is that it doesn't give Christ any credit. We theoretically believe in Christ's atonement carrying us through I suppose, but it seems like it is a footnote or something so assumed that it isn't mentioned.

We don't talk enough of being born again of the spirit (the verbage probably offends us because it is too similar to evangelicals). We don't talk enough about being "in the Spirit" about YM and YW having a born-again-type spiritual experience, etc.

Sometimes it feels like we are a Christ-focused church, but not really a Christ-centered church.
Amen.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote