cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 AM   #11
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This reminds me a little bit of my experience as a youngster in Brazil at a private school. The teacher's protestant prayer before lunch and milk and cookies used to make my blood run cold (I was a kindergartner). I sensed then that Mormons were in many ways on the outside looking in. The irony is that it's the civil libertarian view (not the majority rules all the time view) that is most conducive to Mormon interests, in much the same way that Jews have had a strong affinity for this world view. A Mormon like Romney who was raised outside Utah should get this though many raised there don't. To hear a Mormon like Tex (or Romney) vociferously defend Guantanamo or torture or revocation of disfavored immigrants' civil liberties given Mormonism's past is really quite revolting. It's feels like a sell out, like collaboration.
Good point. Maybe this little dose of finding out what everyone thinks about us in spite of our obsession with public relations, via Romney's will make us look twice at our political affinities.

But I sense from the comments in response to this point that it will not be the case.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote