cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To what purpose do we listen to political comments?

What would be an intelligent reason to listen to public pronouncement of politicians?

Being an unwise lawyer, I'm asking a question without knowing what answer I wish to elicit, but just musing.

My starting position is perhaps a tad more jaded than some, but it starts believing the polished national performers are not speaking of their personal feelings on matters but are seeking to influence public opinion and those supporting them. So public pronouncements are not intended to convey "truth" per se, but rather are intended to evoke symbols within the minds of listeners so that whatever legislative or policy which that politician is endeavoring to promote can be facilitated.

Very often in any criticism of a political speech, one reads here or elsewhere how that person feels about the speaker and whether the speaker is being honest. To me, that goes without saying, a polished political speaker is dishonest but not necessarily with an intent to be honest, but rather with no intent to be consistent. The point to be made is the point du jour and prior points are irrelevant to the speaker, much of the time.

I suppose my bottom line is any political speech benefits me if I parse it to see which interest groups the speaker is addressing and what hot buttons the speaker is pushing. Is he pushing those buttons effectively? For example, Obama on health care in terms of numbers has been conveniently all over the map, and nobody seems to care that he is intentionally dishonest on this, but he wants to be known as a President that "got something done", so he's willing to say whatever it takes to appease public sentiment.

Which interest groups should he appease?

Seniors? Drug Companies? Physicians? Young consumers?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Is a politician concerned mostly with perception of current and past dealings?

That seems, and power and in some instances wealth accummulated, seem to be the primary motivational factors.