cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Odd letter from the First Presidency

Apparently, there is some story going around that has been attributed falsely to a few members of the 12 that says that the youth of todays church were Generals in the war in heaven and that when they go to heaven and tell people that they were born in President Hinckley's time as Prophet, everyone will bow down to them, so the First Presidency issued a letter saying it is absolutely not true and to advise members it is a false doctrine if it is heard. Who on earth would believe this kind of crap and pass it on to begin with? Has anyone actually heard this story?

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I have seen it and heard it many times.

Here you go:
Update:The following statement was published in the Church News, an official publication of the Church, on April 28, 2001: President Boyd K. Packer, acting president of the Quorum of the Twelve, has released the following concerning a statement he is said to have made: "We continue to receive reports of the distribution of a quote attributed to me which begins, 'The youth of the Church today were generals in the war in heaven,' and ends with the statement that when they return to heaven 'all in attendance will bow in your presence.'
"I did not make that statement. I do not believe that statement. "The statement, on occasion, has been attributed to others of the First Presidency and the Twelve. None of the Brethren made that statement." President Packer has sent a letter to mission presidents requesting their help in clarifying this matter among missionaries and members, and has had posted on some Internet sites carrying the statement a notice that he did not make this declaration.

Reference:
Old 03-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I've heard it several times, mostly by youth, but once in a Stake Priesthood meeting by a Bishop.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I have seen it and heard it many times.

Here you go:
Update:The following statement was published in the Church News, an official publication of the Church, on April 28, 2001: President Boyd K. Packer, acting president of the Quorum of the Twelve, has released the following concerning a statement he is said to have made: "We continue to receive reports of the distribution of a quote attributed to me which begins, 'The youth of the Church today were generals in the war in heaven,' and ends with the statement that when they return to heaven 'all in attendance will bow in your presence.'
"I did not make that statement. I do not believe that statement. "The statement, on occasion, has been attributed to others of the First Presidency and the Twelve. None of the Brethren made that statement." President Packer has sent a letter to mission presidents requesting their help in clarifying this matter among missionaries and members, and has had posted on some Internet sites carrying the statement a notice that he did not make this declaration.

Reference:
wow, I'm not sure what is crazier, people believing that to be true, or the fact that nearly 7 years after an official statement like that was made, they have to repeat it because it is still going around.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I never believe these LDS urban legends

Sincerely,

The 2 missionaries that dusted their feet and burned a town to the ground

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Sincerely,

Nor do I.

Sincerely,

The big guy (one of the three nephites) standing behind the young pretty woman but he can only be seen by the evil serial rapist who sees him is now scared and quickly leaves, leaving the pretty woman untouched..

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Sincerely,

Sincerely the Polynesian missionary in EVERY mission that punched a dog and killed it.

Or the missionary that flicked the cat on the nose and killed it.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's a good story.

Sincerely,

The missionary who's leg was healed by a holy roller preacher but whose body was physically possessed
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
Apparently, there is some story going around that has been attributed falsely to a few members of the 12 that says that the youth of todays church were Generals in the war in heaven and that when they go to heaven and tell people that they were born in President Hinckley's time as Prophet, everyone will bow down to them, so the First Presidency issued a letter saying it is absolutely not true and to advise members it is a false doctrine if it is heard. Who on earth would believe this kind of crap and pass it on to begin with? Has anyone actually heard this story?
Yeah, they read this letter in priesthood today. Yes, I've heard this story several times from the pulpit. Kind of a weird letter on a few levels:
1) Who cares if people believe this or not? It doesn't seem to be all that important of a point. Our bishop actually told us that as priesthood holders, we have the right to correct anyone trying to propagate this quote. I can't imagine myself caring enough to correct anyone on this, but I also don't really think I need the priesthood to correct misquotes.
2) Is this the only apocryphal LDS story out there that needs correction?
3) Are we trying to squelch some prideful feelings among the youth?

Just weird.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
Maybe it depends on where you live. I can tell you that regardless of what the topic is, whenever someone here says "I can't believe anyone really believed that" it is guarantee that half of my ward not only did but does.