cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default BYU vs. Michigan State.....

This should be a lot of fun.

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO envious of those who're able to go as the atmosphere and environment in Energy Solutions Arena is going to be electric.

I won't be able to attend for personal reasons, but will be able to watch it from home. Damn....wish I was going to be there. It's killing me not being able to go, but I'll be watching over my Dad a day after his surgery.

In my opinion the #1 key to this game is for BYU to get off to a hot start and putting Michigan State on their heels immediately from the tip-off. MSU is extremely physical and I'm not so sure they aren't a more difficult matchup for us than North Carolina because of their physical style of play.

Weber was semi-successful in slowing us down last night and MSU's plan will be to slow us down even more, so if we can respond by Tav and other shooters being hot early and build a lead that will force MSU to gradually chip away, then I think BYU wins this game.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
This should be a lot of fun.

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO envious of those who're able to go as the atmosphere and environment in Energy Solutions Arena is going to be electric.

I won't be able to attend for personal reasons, but will be able to watch it from home. Damn....wish I was going to be there. It's killing me not being able to go, but I'll be watching over my Dad a day after his surgery.

In my opinion the #1 key to this game is for BYU to get off to a hot start and putting Michigan State on their heels immediately from the tip-off. MSU is extremely physical and I'm not so sure they aren't a more difficult matchup for us than North Carolina because of their physical style of play.

Weber was semi-successful in slowing us down last night and MSU's plan will be to slow us down even more, so if we can respond by Tav and other shooters being hot early and build a lead that will force MSU to gradually chip away, then I think BYU wins this game.

I agree with this analysis. Michigan St is a worse matchup for BYU than UNC. Michigan St is the type of team that will beat you up all game. Plaisted is going to get pushed around in the post more in this game than in other game this year. If he wants to have a good game he is going to have to go home bruised and get a lot of points from the line.

Nietzel is going to be a really tough matchup for BYU. If you can contain Nietzel you will have a very good chance to win the game.

One thing is I've been impressed with BYU's defense this year. Rose's weakness has always been on the defensive end, but BYU has really improved on defense this year.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I agree with this analysis. Michigan St is a worse matchup for BYU than UNC. Michigan St is the type of team that will beat you up all game. Plaisted is going to get pushed around in the post more in this game than in other game this year. If he wants to have a good game he is going to have to go home bruised and get a lot of points from the line.

Nietzel is going to be a really tough matchup for BYU. If you can contain Nietzel you will have a very good chance to win the game.

One thing is I've been impressed with BYU's defense this year. Rose's weakness has always been on the defensive end, but BYU has really improved on defense this year.
I think Michigan state is very physical, they outrebounded Bradley 49-28 including 23 offensive boards in their last game. However remember that last year Plaisted played one of his best games of the year against MSU finishing with 23 points and 9 rebounds. Michigan State will try to guard him one on one and I think that will really help us.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I think Michigan state is very physical, they outrebounded Bradley 49-28 including 23 offensive boards in their last game. However remember that last year Plaisted played one of his best games of the year against MSU finishing with 23 points and 9 rebounds. Michigan State will try to guard him one on one and I think that will really help us.
Plaisted's biggest area of improvement very well might be his rebounding....lately he's been dominant and aggressive in that regard. Something we aren't used to seeing in him.

What was his line last night....14 pts, 15 rebs and 5 blks? Granted it was against crappy Weber State,,but still.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Plaisted's biggest area of improvement very well might be his rebounding....lately he's been dominant and aggressive in that regard. Something we aren't used to seeing in him.

What was his line last night....14 pts, 15 rebs and 5 blks? Granted it was against crappy Weber State,,but still.
Also 3 of his 5 blocks were huge, J-tav also had a huge block that bounced off the floor and went in to the 2nd row.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Also 3 of his 5 blocks were huge, J-tav also had a huge block that bounced off the floor and went in to the 2nd row.
TP's best block was the one where he blocked the shot then caught the blocked ball and threw the outlet for the fast break. Blocks like that are better than hitting sister Christiansen in the 5th row in the uterus.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I am going to the game. It sucks that there are no lower bowl seats as those all went to all-sports pass holders. But it should be fun regardless. Better to have students standing and jumping in the lower bowl all game than the blue hairs knitting in their seats.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote