cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #21
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It surely did. What the author of that article is questioning is the scope of the vote, and how serious the commandment/counsel was meant to be taken (santos should have fun with that).

But he doesn't seem to question that a sustaining vote was held. I don't recall a vote being held in General Conference on the R-rated question that fits even the narrowest interpretation of Young's 1851 statement.
Two points:

1. Our understanding of Young's September 1851 conference, as you note, is vague in how widespread and binding the signs of approval were. It seems clear, however, from the rest of the article, though, that the idea of WoW = commandment was still undetermined.

2. Even if the WoW was a bona fide commandment in 1851, it still allows for the consumption of beer. My biggest question isn't whether or not the WoW is a commandment or counsel, but why the modern, current version seems to contradict the text of the revelation.

Even Young's later statements laid out in this article that lament the continued use of prohibited substances (e.g. tea, coffee) criticize the consumption of liquor - not beer.

Commandment or not, it seems that the prohibition against beer is unfounded.