cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't get this parable. Can someone do an exegesis for me?
There are enigmatic splendors in the parable of the Bananas, whether it was revealed to tooblue or whether it emerged from his indubitable religious genius." --Harold Bloom

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't get this parable. Can someone do an exegesis for me?
I don't get it either.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #13
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I don't get it either.
At any given point in the discussions on prop 8 we all are both the artist and client; all of the arguments for or against are absurd. It’s absurd for the client to be so narrowly focused. It’s equally absurd for the artist to expect the client to trust him despite demonstrable evidence to support his assertions.

Is any single argument presented here so convincing it has changed a majority of person’s opinions on the subject? We all are dissatisfied and disenchanted. Therefore, ultimately, it is a question of faith.

Many will choose to align their faith with societies ability to craft laws to the benefit of all persons.

Many will choose to align their faith with religious ideology and oppose actions deemed detrimental to their beliefs.

In a supposedly free society why deride others for the exercise of faith?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=tooblue;278955]Is any single argument presented here so convincing it has changed a majority of person’s opinions on the subject? We all are dissatisfied and disenchanted. Therefore, ultimately, it is a question of faith.QUOTE]

I think people have had their opinion changed on this issue through discussion. Not all of us are as bullheaded as you assume.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #15
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Is any single argument presented here so convincing it has changed a majority of person’s opinions on the subject? We all are dissatisfied and disenchanted. Therefore, ultimately, it is a question of faith.
I think people have had their opinion changed on this issue through discussion. Not all of us are as bullheaded as you assume.
I never suggested, assumed or asserted that anyone here is bullheaded -- that's your characterization, not mine. I have only asserted that the arguments are absurd, inadequate and unable to effect change in a majority. If they were effective then most of us would have arrived at consensus on the issue. And clearly there is not consensus in this community.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I never suggested, assumed or asserted that anyone here is bullheaded ------------- I have only asserted that the arguments are absurd, inadequate and unable to effect change in a majority.
????

I don't find you confusing per se, but I certainly your posts to be confusing.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #17
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
????

I don't find you confusing per se, but I certainly your posts to be confusing.
What's confusing -- the fact he assumes I assume people here are bullheaded? Yah, I kinda find that confusing too!