cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody have experience with cruises?

Traveled quite a bit, but never cruised. If so, advice?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah
Default Re: Anybody have experience with cruises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Great deals often have a catch. My brother in law and sister found a great deal for a cruise. They found out after boarding that the cruise was indeed a gay cruise. But they had a great time nonetheless.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

They had a gay Ole time?

No just looking for general information, such as whether to stay below deck, ocean side, suite? How does pricing work?

How long is too long?

Do people who dive also do cruises?

What do you do on a cruise ship? I understand the gym isn't open 24 hours? Do some lines have better gyms than others?

Are some better with kids than others?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
Great deals often have a catch. My brother in law and sister found a great deal for a cruise. They found out after boarding that the cruise was indeed a gay cruise. But they had a great time nonetheless.
That happened to a friend of mine. He was on the cruise and someone asked him if he had seen the poop deck, and yada yada yada. . . he was sore for a week.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I am hoping to have an experience with a cruise someday. Specifically, Penelope Cruz.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #6
FMCoug

FMCoug

My wife and I went on a 4-day baja CA cruise for our 5th anniversary. Loved it but haven't been on another one since. Something to do with the tech bubble bursting

Anyway, I would say a short cruise like that (3-4 days) would make a good first cruise. We loved it but have talked to others who did not like cruising. It would suck to be stuck on the boat for 7 days if you end up being in the latter group (though a big minority).

In terms of your other questions, I think you'll find that you spend very little time in the room so I'd stay away from the ocean side, balcony, etc. Having a porthole is nice however. But if you're on a budget (who isn't) your money would be better spent on some of the nice shore excursions than a room upgrade IMO.

We didn't take our kids but have heard the Disney cruises are fun for families. I personally would not take kids otherwise. A big part of what makes a cruise so relaxing is that you literally don't have to think about anything / no responsibilities. Dealing with kids would take a big part of that away IMO. Although I suppose it depends on the kids.

One other note ... cruises can be a great value for Mormons because they make a lot of their $ on the bar tabs. It's all-inclusive except for alcohol. So if you don't drink ... you get the benefits of the low prices for the trip and really don't spend much in shipboard credit.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
ive cruised a few times....

here would be my suggestion. do a 4 day cruise see if you like it, if you do do a bigger one.

they do have diving available depending on the cruise and the location of the cruise. all the cabins are super small, but you rarely find yourself in them except to sleep so it isnt that big of a deal.

this is a cruise. you eat, do activities, eat, do activities, eat, sleep, eat, watch a show, eat, gamble.....

ive been on royal carribean twice and it was absolutely great.

the gym seemed like it was open whenever i wanted to go. it was open early and stayed open pretty late.

there are dance clubs, karaoke, and multiple bars to enjoy and relax in during the night.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have yet to go on a cruise..

but a friend of mine from mortuary school was employed as the onboard mortician for about 6 years for Royal Carribean. He enjoyed that job very much and only had to perform his needed service about 5 times.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I have yet to go on a cruise..

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
but a friend of mine from mortuary school was employed as the onboard mortician for about 6 years for Royal Carribean. He enjoyed that job very much and only had to perform his needed service about 5 times.
Okay, I'm trying to remember back to my days watching The Love Boat. Now, Gopher was the purser and Isaac was the bartender. Who the hell was the mortician?
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I am a cruise addict now.

Went on my first cruise 2 years ago.... 4 day Mexico cruise with Royal Carribian. Cruise was good, food was fantastic, child care was excellent. It was a good first cruise....

Went on my 2nd cruise last year in Hawaii. It was a 7 day cruise with Norweigen Cruise Lines. Service sucked, food was okay, childcare was terrible.

With RCCL (Royal Carribian Cruise Lines) we were able to check our youngest kid in in the morning and keep the kid there until 10 PM if we wanted. We left it up to our daughter. She had so much fun and made so many friends that she wanted to be there and not with us. We figured what the hell, if she wants to spend vacation that way then go ahead.

With NCL (Norweigen Cruise Lines) Kids can be checked in from 9-12 2-5 7-10. So, if you leave ship with your kid checked in, you have to come back during the gaps or pay 5.00 an hour. They will also babysit from 10 to midnight for 5.00 an hour. The problem I had with this was that I was already paying basically 100.00 a day per person (5 people) to be on the cruise anyways. Why was I going to drop another 5.00 per hour for 6 hours? No way. My daughter didn't enjoy the cruise as much.

My wife and I are celebrating our 10th this year with a cruise to Alaska. Just booked it today infact. Normally we get rooms with a portal to look at the water. This time we are getting a suite with a tub and separate shower. This will also have a balcony with outdoor seating. It will be 7 days from Seattle to Alaska to Seattle. It is about 3 large with port charges, but we weren't able to afford any type of honeymoon when we got married.

We were:

A - Broke
B - Already had a child
C - Had to be at work on Monday.

So we are going all out this time. We can afford it, the kids are older, and we both have lots of vacations.

This cruise will be on the Holland America Cruise Lines. My first time with this fleet, but they are regarded as the best in the business. You pay more, but they put less on the ship (amount of guests) than anyone else.

Another reason to stay away from the NCL Hawaii cruise.... It is an American stationed ship. Which means American employees only. Which means really...really...really bad service. In the week we were there we only had a room done 3 times. Should have been 7. We had to look for TP and towels almost daily.

All other cruise lines are based in another country which means foriegn staff. So, language is a very minor issue, but the service is TOP NOTCH.

I love to cruise. I am an addict now....