cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road
Default NCAA Master Scheduler

I wish the NCAA would do all of the scheduling for college football. It would be fun to see some of the matchups. It would interesting to see if the BCS conferences would maintain their status if they were forced to play some out of conference road games. Schedules wouldn't have to be made so far in advance. 2 years at the most. It would also level the playing field a little more in recruiting.

I want to nominate myself for this position. I will do it for free.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
It would interesting to see if the BCS conferences would maintain their status if they were forced to play some out of conference road games.
What do you mean by this? What do you see as a possibility?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I wish the NCAA would do all of the scheduling for college football. It would be fun to see some of the matchups. It would interesting to see if the BCS conferences would maintain their status if they were forced to play some out of conference road games. Schedules wouldn't have to be made so far in advance. 2 years at the most. It would also level the playing field a little more in recruiting.

I want to nominate myself for this position. I will do it for free.
You think the NCAA could even approach balanced scheduling? That would be a Pandora's box of epic proportions. The rhetoric sounds nice, but the execution would be nightmarish at best.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What do you mean by this? What do you see as a possibility?
I think you would see more losses by Big Ten and SEC schools. Some of these losses would come to WAC, MWC, and MAC teams. In recruiting, those teams could say, we played Tennessee in our house last year and beat them. It would weaken the recruiting advantage (maybe only slightly). I just think it would be a nice experiment. Pollster have a built in bias toward certain schools. There is no way to prove the bias isn't justified, because those schools are unwilling to travel. PAC 10 is the exception, you have to give them them credit. When Georgia played at ASU this year, it was the first time they had played west of the Mississippi in many, many years.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You think the NCAA could even approach balanced scheduling? That would be a Pandora's box of epic proportions. The rhetoric sounds nice, but the execution would be nightmarish at best.
I think they could achieve balanced scheduling. I don't think they would though. You would probably have to come up with a three or four class system. Maybe limit Division I to eighty teams or so. Maybe less.

One thing I would do if we couldn't do a playoff, would be to schedule the team that finished ranked third the previous year against the previous years National Champion in week one. It could be the Kickoff Classic.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
BlueHair

I just looked it up. Georgia hadn't traveled west of the Mississippi for a regular season game since 1960. That is crazy.