cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default Analysis of BYU after Lousiville and UNC

Let me preface this by pointing out that I was so excited by the wins this weekend I was not in a position to analyze the games BYU played. They were too fresh emotionally and I couldn't think clearly. Now that I can think clearly, here are some thoughts.

BYU can run -- One thing about Pitino's teams, whether his best players are playing or not, is that they can run. They can always run. They usually run half court teams into the ground and force them into ugly mistakes late when they get tired. The reason Rick does this is because he knows he can recruit and prepare greater depth than most programs in the country. He has more guys with All-American athleticism and skill than most.
UNC has a similar style this year. They can also run. Both of these teams can rebound, both can fast break, both can exert defensive pressure. Astonishingly, BYU ran with Lousiville then ran with UNC for most of the night. Unfortunately, BYU lost its legs down the stretch against UNC and long range shots started to land short. I think that is more a result of back to back games against great opposition than an indication of BYU's lack of ability and depth.
The net out of this revelation, MSU is in trouble. They are coming to SLC to play BYU. Playing at altitude against a team that lives at altitude and is already trying to run you into the ground spells disaster for MSU. Additional information to be derived from this tournament, BYU could be dangerous to anyone in the NCAA tournament if the venue is in the high mountains. I feel sorry for anyone that tries to run with us at altitude.

Senior guards from JCs are paying off -- Many people wondered why we had roster spots for Murdock and Burgess..the reason we have them can be summarized in one word "efficiency."

Collinsworth still my freshman of the year -- Whenever we face a team where Tavernari can't guard their 4 we will put Cummard on him. The result will be foul trouble for Cummard. Collinsworth can step in, rebound and play D. On this team, that is going to be more valuable than Fredette's ability to score.

Rose can recruit -- Murdock, Tavernari, Fredette, Loyd, Collinsworth, Martineau...all great pick ups and some of them are real sleepers talent wise.

Plaisted has improved -- Most people are talking about Plaisted's ability to score as the biggest improvement in his game. I think his biggest improvement is his ability to restrain himself. Last year if he caught the ball in the post, he was taking it to the hole. This year he is feeling the D, sighting passing lanes and double teams, and then deciding what to do. Often his decision is to pass. Nothing kills a double team on a big man like a motion offense with a good passing big man.

Zone's may stop Plaisted but will lose you the game -- Tavernari's ability to score and pass from the high post coupled with a team of dudes who can shoot from deep make the 2-3 zone useless against BYU. This rule does not change if you have great athletes, ask Lousiville.

I'm increasingly excited about this team. They have the ability to make noise. Hopefully they aren't peaking too soon and continue to improve.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote