cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is being gay a choice?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 24 66.67%
Undecided 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 11:23 PM   #151
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Do I put words in your mouth? Do I pretend to convey what you truly mean? It's interesting that instead of engaging my ideas from the get go you attempt to belittle them. Your insecurity is appearant. Step forward and render an opinion.
Oh, the insecurity card; I'm scared. Look at the poll your fellows in the faith participated in. Common sense as well as scientific consensus suggest strongly people don't select sexual preference like they choose to drink a beer. I know I didn't. (I don't think the nature/nurture distinction matters for present purposes.)

I'm happy to live by the evidence, and I will honor Mormonism's opposition to full gay liberties if sexual preference is a choice. But not if it's an immutable characteristic. That's where I draw the line.

But my mind is always open. The reason I have nothing of substance to say to you about this is that you're intellectually dishonest. You don't care what the right answer is from an empirical standpoint. Your starting point is to rationalize the LDS Church's position. You're an apologist.

By the way, I wouldn't really care what the LDS Church did if it weren't for it throwing its weight behind that Constitutional amendment. (I mainly care about the priesthood ban because I lived with it and was harmed by it.)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #152
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

SU to TooBlue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The reason I have nothing of substance to say to you about this is that you're intellectually dishonest. You don't care what the right answer is from an empirical standpoint. Your starting point is to rationalize the LDS Church's position. You're an apologist.
You are in over your head Too.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:52 AM   #153
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
SU to TooBlue:

You are in over your head Too.
Okay, make your case that it's a choice. I'm all eyes, and I'll do my best to keep up with your formidable intellect.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-28-2008, 02:56 AM   #154
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Okay, make your case that it's a choice. I'm all eyes, and I'll do my best to keep up with your formidable intellect.
I think he meant Too as in TooBlue.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:59 AM   #155
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Surely he would have put a comma before "Too" if he meant that. Another possiblity is that he was being sarcastic, in which case my challenge stands.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #156
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I don't think there is a genetic cause, but I do think sexuality is mostly beyond one's control. A combination of genetic and early formative experiences (beyond one's control) probably explain most of it. The rest can probably be chalked up to the cognitive reinforcement that comes with the sense of self that is constantly being constructed and reconstructed through behaviors and reasoning.

I do think people's sexuality has a range within which it can shift. Not all homosexuality is the same, and neither is all heterosexuality. Homosexuals are often keenly aware of this fact, heterosexuals are less likely to be so.
Well said -you offer very perceptive observations.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #157
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
il Pad is right....I'm referring to "tooblue"

As formidible as tooblue's intellect is....I still think he is in over his head.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #158
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
il Pad is right....I'm referring to "tooblue"

As formidible as tooblue's intellect is....I still think he is in over his head.
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17213
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote