cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yeah, the green jellow version. Certainly not the stuff that excites Harold Bloom and MikeWaters. Really this white-washed two-year study is a way to control the agenda in the way Waters is decrying. They've labotomized Smith.
Don't tell me you are also a 'Religous Marxist'. When was the last time you attended church or watched or read talks from General Conference. You are projecting. We will study the Book of Mormon in the next year also. And you are welcome to come to church with me anytime.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
This is what Mauss considers to be the impetus for the more fundamentally inclined mullahish bent of mormon. Since there's no longer a really obvious way to distinguish "the one true faith" from the others, they make up extra rules to show their piety, like caffeine or white-shirts or facial hair.

I think you're right in pointing out how it has fractured the community of believers.
How big is the community? The myopia expressed here is unfathomable!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

One your most ironic posts ever, Mike.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
How big is the community? The myopia expressed here is unfathomable!
I don't know about myopia (Lasik worked wonders for me), but I think the western US identity still dominates the modern LDS church. While the idea of a global culture is nice, I think SLC still calls the shots. And that culture trickles down too. There is a trans-national LDS culture, but it's a culture largely dominated by Utah and its mormons, IMO.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had a very clear record as being against the mainstreaming of the church.

For exactly these reasons. The tribe will die.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I don't know about myopia (Lasik worked wonders for me), but I think the western US identity still dominates the modern LDS church. While the idea of a global culture is nice, I think SLC still calls the shots. And that culture trickles down too. There is a trans-national LDS culture, but it's a culture largely dominated by Utah and its mormons, IMO.
It is beyond obvious that intermountain Mormons control the agenda of the church.

You cannot put forth a hypothesis that is different.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Since there's no longer a really obvious way to distinguish "the one true faith" from the others,
You mean things like temples, prophets and so forth?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You mean things like temples, prophets and so forth?
The trend is towards de-emphasizing everything that makes Mormons unique.

"That's in the past." "We stick to the basics of the gospel." "We obey living prophets, not the ones from the past." "Please don't use the word 'Mormon', we are 'Latter-day Saints." "We are The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".
Old 01-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The trend is towards de-emphasizing everything that makes Mormons unique.

"That's in the past." "We stick to the basics of the gospel." "We obey living prophets, not the ones from the past." "Please don't use the word 'Mormon', we are 'Latter-day Saints." "We are The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".
So are missionaries handing out New Testaments instead of Books of Mormon now?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #20
tooblue

Quote:
I don't live in the states. Consider for a moment that I am the ONLY American in my congregation. Previously, before moving to the suburbs I was also one of the FEW caucasians. My church culture is decidedly different than that of Utah's. Now place my experience in context to membership around the world along with the move by Salt Lake to send apostles abroad permantly! Salt Lake will always call the shots, but the direction the church is NOT determined by American needs but by world needs.

You and Mike and all others on this site save maybe myboynoah have a woefully self-centered view of the church. It is as much an expression of your Americanism as it is your Mormonism.

Consider for a moment if the US still calls the shots?