cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #161
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way, I didn't come across this youtube account at random or through my own searching. It was on the A&M message board.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #162
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
By the way, I didn't come across this youtube account at random or through my own searching. It was on the A&M message board.
Didn't your mother ever warn against playing with non-members?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #163
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Sell, Sell, dammit!!!

Hey Blue T. Did you see my follow up to your querry as to if I really heard "no birth control" preached as doctrine in the 60's and early 70's. I wondered if I had made it up myself. So I went and got a quote from Pres. Brown in 1972 and other brethern during that time.

President Benson used the term "evil" describing there use and President Brown said those who use birth control will "reap the retribution of God".

It is a nice feeling to know I indeed am not senile and there was a time I listened to what the brethern said.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #164
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

That's great, I'm usually too lazy to do the groundwork of looking stuff up, or maybe it's that I truly am computer illiterate and can usually only work the mouse.

Anyway, I was NOT accusing you of lying, someone elses words, I was just saying that my parents couldn't recall ever hearing or seeing anything that specifically pointed out that utilizing birth control was against some specific Mormon commandment. Those were things that made me go Hmmmmmm......

Thanks for doing the legwork, happy trails!
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #165
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Dispicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So what's your opinion of someone secretly recording a disciplinary council and then posting it on the internet?
He had his agenda and thus it drove his decision to record a private matter. Glad he is gonzo!
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #166
exUte

Default I know someone who was in on the council

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I assume this violates protocol.

I think I can understand the desire to document the process and have an ace in the hole should a public dispute arise.

I think publishing it is an indication of his antipathy for the church. Or rather, a measure of his conviction as to the wrongness and corruption of the church.

Here's a bit more info about his excommunication:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/98421
and without going into detail, this Lamborn guy is a nut job! And has been doing his 'thang' for years.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #167
exUte

Default Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Lyndon wanted this to happen, and that was probably known by all parties from the outset, so this particular disciplinary council was really a formality and that's evident from the recordings.
It was a setup. He could have easily sent in a letter to have his name removed, but that didn't fall within his plan to make his excommunication a public spectacle and try to embarass the Church. Good riddance!