cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
My niece got drunk and had unprotected sex with a guy she met at a bar while in Europe. My brother and his wife encouraged her to take the morning after pill, which she did. She was barely 18 at the time.

I think my brother and his wife were wrong. I'm fine with birth control, but not the morning after pill. There is a difference between preventing life and ending it. The scientific niceties of what a two-day old zygote is does not concern me. I would have told my daughter that one of the consequences of her actions was the possibility that she could get pregnant. The sexual act is the means by which life is created, and if she performs that act irresponsibly, it could have life altering consequences.

Small choices can have cataclysmic consequences. Life is hard. We have to accept the consequences of our actions. Blunting them with the convenience of modern technology is moral robbery in my opinion.

And my attitude does not come from a perspective of punishment. The damage to her soul by taking the morning-after pill, and the fundamental altering of her worldview that occurred when she did so, are much worse then carrying a baby to term and then giving it up for adoption. Morning sickness, the heartache of giving the baby up, yes. But such pains do nothing to her soul. The quick fix for heedless sex, the ending of life, does much to her soul.
Their error in judgement was to not respect their daughter's privacy. Why would they share this information, especially if they know your extremist views?

Surely, you aren't serious about not giving your daughter the MAP. What makes you think that giving up a child would do nothing to her soul? She could feel that torment for the rest of her life.

It must be nice to be able to think/believe in absolutes all the time.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

My recollection is that the pill before may also result in a post conception/pre-implantation termination. Anyone (mike, ercoug, or other Dr. type) know if this is correct?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Rape on the other hand is a whole different ballgame.
Why? If you don't want your daughter to take it I assume you think a day old zygote is a life. Is it okay to slit the throat of a two-year old child conceived of rape? That's your reasoning, isn't it?

If that's not your reasoning is your reasoning that your daughter did an irresponsible thing and now she must be made to pay--learn the hard way--for her mistake?

You're nuts here.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Their error in judgement was to not respect their daughter's privacy. Why would they share this information, especially if they know your extremist views?
Agree with this. The parents are POS. Not for giving her the pill, for violating her privacy.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #15
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
My recollection is that the pill before may also result in a post conception/pre-implantation termination. Anyone (mike, ercoug, or other Dr. type) know if this is correct?
Yup. This is the largely unspoken secret of the pill. I suspect some women might feel very differently about birth control if they knew this.

Personally, I think it's tough to justify Levin's position, given the facts.

EDIT: I should say that the idea that the pill occasionally prevents implantation rather than fertilization is somewhat controversial, although I'm not sure it should be. We KNOW that there are women who still ovulate on the pill, so it seems pretty clear that at least occasionally, it's preventing implantation. I suspect the controversy is more due to the political ramifications of this than the science behind it.

Last edited by ERCougar; 08-20-2008 at 07:36 AM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #16
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

I've prescribed Plan B a bunch of times when I moonlight in ERs. I have no ethical problem with it whatsoever. In my mind it does not equate with abortion in any way, shape or form. Nobody who does in vitro fertilization argues that every single embryo that is created has a right to be born. A zygote is not a child.

I was working in a rural ER in Minnesota during my residency. One of the nurses asked me if I would prescribe Plan B to a 14-year old girl who didn't want to be charged for the ER visit because she didn't want the bill to go to her parents.

I went ahead and gave the poor girl the prescription without charging her for the visit, along with a lecture on how stupid and reckless she was being. I felt like that was the right thing to do. The morning after pill should be over-the-counter anyway.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, it's hard for me to believe that it's an extremist position to NOT feel comfortable in urging and encouraging the morning after pill.

So I take it some of you have taught your daughters this very thing? That if they ever have unprotected sex, they should go to the ER and have the possible pregnancy terminated?

Seriously, does anyone here have the balls to say that this is what they teach their children? I take it you have also taught your sons to encourage their sex partners to do the same thing?

I do not see a big ethical difference between a morning afte pill and a first trimester abortion.

Do those of you that encourage the MAP, also teach that abortion in the first trimester is ok? If not, then I have a hard time with the idea that you can teach abortion is "like unto murder" but the MAP is encouraged!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Is there anything more entertaining than watching a bunch of affluent old men split hairs over this stuff?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #19
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm with Levin. I can't imagine that I would be encouraging my daughter to take the morning after pill after consensual sex.

"You had sex. You might be pregnant. Take medication to end it."

Now, if the said she had taken it (without my suggestion), I don't know that I would be angry, she has to live with her own choices.

Rape on the other hand is a whole different ballgame.
I know many people who are anti abortion feel this way. That is one I haven't been able to grasp.

I realize the affect on the friends and relatives of the woman who conceives consentually or by rape, but what is the difference to the fetus.

If it is wrong to end the fetus of a consentual transaction, why is it not wrong to end it from rape.

For those who take the stand in one case it is wrong and in the other it is not, give me the justification of such. It can't be because it is taking a human life.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #20
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Is there anything more entertaining than watching a bunch of affluent old men split hairs over this stuff?
Oklahoma must be reeeeeeeaaaallllyyyy boring.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote