cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will Mormonism disappear?
21 1 16.67%
22 1 16.67%
23 2 33.33%
24 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The difference is that one only has to ask the LDS church to leave them alone - request no more home teacher contact, no missionaries, etc. and that wish will be respected.

No matter how many times I've asked you do let it go, you continue with your quest to drag the active members here into your personal abyss.

You chose to leave. Taq chose to leave. It's time for both of you to shut the hell up.
Just like clockwork, Il Padrino chimes in with his shut the hell up diatribe. Il Padrino is the new tooblue. Maybe a conflation of old Rocky and tooblue.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #42
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Just like clockwork, Il Padrino chimes in with his shut the hell up diatribe. Il Padrino is the new tooblue. Maybe a conflation of old Rocky and tooblue.
I won't stop telling you to shut the hell up, because you need to be told to shut the hell up.

You chose to leave. So leave.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #43
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The difference is that one only has to ask the LDS church to leave them alone - request no more home teacher contact, no missionaries, etc. and that wish will be respected.
I actually don't think this is true. These types of messages are not passed on from missionary companionship to missionary companionship, and while my ward has a "Do Not Contact List," it's often ignored. Eventually, the missionaries or a member of the bishopric will be back knocking at your door.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #44
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I actually don't think this is true. These types of messages are not passed on from missionary companionship to missionary companionship, and while my ward has a "Do Not Contact List," it's often ignored. Eventually, the missionaries or a member of the bishopric will be back knocking at your door.
Do Not Contact lists can fade over time, it's true. But if someone really doesn't want to be contacted, a simple letter to the church gets the name removed. It's not complicated.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #45
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Plenty of former Mormons just drift away or move on. A few outspoken ones are sufficient for Mormons to smugly declare that apostates just can't leave the LDS Church alone. In practice, it is the outspoken former members that get labeled "apostates" and the ones who just go their way are called something else (or nothing at all).

The "apostates can't leave the LDS Church alone" thing has become a rod with which to smite. It is kind of self-fulfilling as well, as someone carping about how you can't leave their organization alone can contribute to a desire to lash out at that organization.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #46
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
You are correct, but when one chooses to no longer be a part of the church, a request that no home teachers or anyone else will be respected.

But the chance that it will be a constant daily annoyance on the part of a member of the Bishopric is almost nil.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #47
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Do Not Contact lists can fade over time, it's true. But if someone really doesn't want to be contacted, a simple letter to the church gets the name removed. It's not complicated.
True, but SU has a point when he calls out people who tell apostates/critics to leave the Church alone when the Church institutionally does not understand the meaning of, "no thanks." The point is, as you indicated earlier, one side is trying to bring good tidings, while the other is meant to destroy.

But I don't think SU's intent is to destroy -- unless trying to offer the clarity of a differeing viewpoint means to destroy. With humor and some insight, I think he offers an interesting foil. It at least has forced you to bring your game to the table -- and in the long run, that's only helped you.

Can you say you are the worse for your engagements with SU?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #48
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
True, but SU has a point when he calls out people who tell apostates/critics to leave the Church alone when the Church institutionally does not understand the meaning of, "no thanks." The point is, as you indicated earlier, one side is trying to bring good tidings, while the other is meant to destroy.

But I don't think SU's intent is to destroy -- unless trying to offer the clarity of a differeing viewpoint means to destroy. With humor and some insight, I think he offers an interesting foil. It at least has forced you to bring your game to the table -- and in the long run, that's only helped you.

Can you say you are the worse for your engagements with SU?
No, SU is serious when he belittle those of us who believe. He is a bitter apostate who thinks himself intellectually and morally superior.

You just haven't been around long enough to recognize this.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

SU has no gift and claims that gifts don't exist. It gets tiresome. To the gifted.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #50
Levin

Quote:
No, SU is serious when he belittle those of us who believe. He is a bitter apostate who thinks himself intellectually and morally superior.

You just haven't been around long enough to recognize this.
But don't you think you're superior to him b/c of your belief? Not necessarily from you, but I've seen SU belittled for his disbelief.