cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default You'd never hear the Seahawks' owner and coach praise the Lord for an NFC championshp

There's a strangeness to Indianapolis and Seattle being part of the same nation particularly if you bear the arc of history in mind. I wonder at the reaction here if Paul Allen accepted the NFC trophy and "humbly" gave the "glory to God," and then Mike Holmgren said, "We did it with the Lord, the Lord found a way for us to do it." I think what would happen here is shocked silence, followed by nervous laughter followed by really loud laughter.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

That's because Seattle is full of heathens and hippies.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:49 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I was surprised that the Indy owner and Dungy made those comments, but I didn't see anything inappropriate about them. I think they were made out of humble gratitude and not in a condescending manner.

The interesting thing about Holmgren is that he's a very faithful Christian, but he keeps it pretty close to his sleeve. As you pointed out the likely fan reaction of Seattle fans, it's not hard to see why. He would probably get the same reaction in most other NFL gigs. When discussing his decision to go to BYU he made the following statement.

"Then a job opened up in Utah. Some of our friends questioned our judgment in accepting it. But Kathy and I viewed my position as assistant coach at Brigham Young University (BYU) as a unique opportunity to share our faith with the players, coaches, and students on a predominantly Mormon campus."
http://www.thegoal.com/players/coach...gran_mike.html
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe not in word - the Holmgrens let their actions do the talking.

If you recall, Mike Holmgren's wife and daughter didn't attend the Super Bowl last year because they were on medical mission in Africa - a trip managed by the Evangelical church where they are members.

Outside the realm of Mayor Nickels there are a lot of religious people in the PS area, but, yes, I agree they are not a vocal at sporting events (thankfully) as in other parts of the country.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:58 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I was surprised that the Indy owner and Dungy made those comments, but I didn't see anything inappropriate about them. I think they were made out of humble gratitude and not in a condescending manner.

The interesting thing about Holmgren is that he's a very faithful Christian, but he keeps it pretty close to his sleeve. As you pointed out the likely fan reaction of Seattle fans, it's not hard to see why. He would probably get the same reaction in most other NFL gigs. When discussing his decision to go to BYU he made the following statement.

"Then a job opened up in Utah. Some of our friends questioned our judgment in accepting it. But Kathy and I viewed my position as assistant coach at Brigham Young University (BYU) as a unique opportunity to share our faith with the players, coaches, and students on a predominantly Mormon campus."
http://www.thegoal.com/players/coach...gran_mike.html

I wasn't being critical so much as expressing wonderment at the variety of cultures in our great nation.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Is Seattle still the number 1 suicide city on the US? I remember when i used to sell hottubs one of our manufacturers was in woodinville and whenever someone would come in to their store they would sell those flashing LED lights like they were going out of style, they would have signs all over promoting Light therapy. Supposedly due to so many rainy and dreary days people really buy in to that stuff.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:06 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I wasn't being critical so much as expressing wonderment at the variety of cultures in our great nation.
It is interesting. Moving from Utah to the Midwest surprised me in a lot of ways. One way was the everyday vocabulary with which people use that indicate their religious belief. In particular, instead of saying "Have a good day," people would say, "Have a blessed day." I also look forward to the sweet lady at my favorite fast food place who always says, "God bless you," as she hands me my change.

That never happened in Utah and I doubt it happens often on the coasts. I don't think either way is better, it's just different.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Maybe not in word - the Holmgrens let their actions do the talking.

If you recall, Mike Holmgren's wife and daughter didn't attend the Super Bowl last year because they were on medical mission in Africa - a trip managed by the Evangelical church where they are members.

Outside the realm of Mayor Nickels there are a lot of religious people in the PS area, but, yes, I agree they are not a vocal at sporting events (thankfully) as in other parts of the country.

A few others, just off the top of my head:
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:10 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't "God" a verboten topic in Seattle, unless you're using it as "God damn it"?

Seattle is a cool town from my few visits, but I wouldn't ever let on I had religious inclinations there. It does produce some beautiful women and great scenary.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I honestly didn't have a problem with it.

Tony Dungy is known in the media and coaching circles as being highly spiritual. After his son died he we was here in SLC not a short time afterwards at a religious convention as the keynote speaker. I applaud him for having the courage to give thanks the way he did without sounding arrogant about it at the same time.