cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How old when you learned of polyandry by JS?
Before baptism? 1 2.17%
Before puberty or 14? 8 17.39%
Before 20? 7 15.22%
After 20 or after mission? 23 50.00%
After 30? 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2007, 05:18 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Assuming Joseph Smith indeed "committed" polyandry, was his polyandry not acceptable to God? I think God has made it abundantly clear how severe a sin unchaste behavior is. Do you think he would let this slide, given that Joseph was His prophet?
What if...

JS committed a sexual sin relating to polygamy/polyandry that was not acceptable to God but JS believed it was right? What then?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts if what Joseph Smith did was wrong and he continued to do it over a lengthy period of time and with multiple women, that God wasn't going to all of the sudden go laissez-faire with him and take him to task about it in the Hereafter.

Kingship <> Prophet

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOr...004d82620a____
Yes, I'm aware of that perspective, promoted by leadership, but in this instance, I don't believe it was followed. That doesn't make me a disbeliever, only that I don't believe the explanation or lack of explanation.

I can accept the fact that people may not be held responsible for the actions of their leaders.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What if...

JS committed a sexual sin relating to polygamy/polyandry that was not acceptable to God but JS believed it was right? What then?
Then God taps him on the shoulder and tells him to knock it off. How long was the Brother of Jared chewed out for not praying to God?

[EDIT]Never mind, I forgot the Book of Mormon was allegory and that it's likely a Brother of Jared never existed, so the chewing out was merely the symbolic consequence of a symbolic transgression.[/EDIT]

Last edited by Indy Coug; 04-30-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #24
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a Salt Lake City missionary at age 19, and encountered the idea then (as did many in my mission).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I was a Salt Lake City missionary at age 19, and encountered the idea then (as did many in my mission).
And your response was?

I remember the first time I discussed it with leadership, it was, this, 'hum, hah,"

Well he didn't have sex. Well maybe he did. Well ...

no good answers.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #26
jay santos

Quote:
Then God taps him on the shoulder and tells him to knock it off. How long was the Brother of Jared chewed out for not praying to God?
Maybe God tapped him and the next couple guys on the shoulder and it took the fourth guy to pay attention. I just think there's so much we don't know about God and how and when and why he reveals things to us, that we can't say definitively how things really went down re: the whole polygamy fiasco.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Quote:
Maybe God tapped him and the next couple guys on the shoulder and it took the fourth guy to pay attention. I just think there's so much we don't know about God and how and when and why he reveals things to us, that we can't say definitively how things really went down re: the whole polygamy fiasco.
Is God really that impotent?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #28
jay santos

Quote:
Is God really that impotent?
Absolutely not.

1. Agency is a really important concept that we probably don't understand well and how it might play it out in situations like this.

2. Since God obviously knows the world beginning to the end, the polygamy fiasco, while resulting from a mistake or blunder by man might have been the exact thing to further God's will in how the restoration of His church would go.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #29
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
And your response was?

I remember the first time I discussed it with leadership, it was, this, 'hum, hah,"

Well he didn't have sex. Well maybe he did. Well ...

no good answers.
I don't remember exactly what I said, but I do remember that I argued that prophets can be very, very flawed. I might have mentioned Paul's involvement with the stoning of Steven.

On P-day, though, I went to a bookstore (either Sam Wellers or Benchmark Books) and I asked somebody there to steer me to books on J.S. and polygamy/polyandry. I bought Carmen Hardy's book. Most missionaries don't have easy access to those resources...
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-30-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #30
Indy Coug

Quote:
Absolutely not.

1. Agency is a really important concept that we probably don't understand well and how it might play it out in situations like this.

2. Since God obviously knows the world beginning to the end, the polygamy fiasco, while resulting from a mistake or blunder by man might have been the exact thing to further God's will in how the restoration of His church would go.
I'm not buying it. There just isn't any recorded history of God allowing something of this magnitude going on against His will without subsequent Divine intervention/correction; whereas there are several examples that show God steps in when His prophets stray off the straight and narrow.