cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much better will the team be next August?

I don't know how many of the newcomers will be able to contribute. We'll have returning missionaries and new freshmen.

The freshmen will be hard-pressed to make the jump but some view the freshmen linebackers as potentially contributing, maybe Apo contributing as a receiver and who knows. Perhaps the RB from Boaz Alabama will contribute.

My concerns. QB. We're going to take some lumps there. The performance will not be as clean, even though Max was far from perfect.

O Line is thin, real thin. Why didn't we shore that part up. We had depth problems last year, and this should have been a priority.

D Line is new but some talent seems to be there. I worry we're not talented enough there to pressure qbs, and couple that with an entirely new linebacking crew, we could have to rely too much upon corners even though are safeties are not settled.

We have good running backs, with Harvey, JJ, Josh and the Boaz kid.

Tight ends look like a work in progress and receivers should be better but still not break out receiver. Collie is likely to prove to be an anomaly rather than the norm.

Overall, it looks like a three to four loss season. We won't be very happy unless we finish strong. It is unlikely to be a glory season and a heavy loss to FSU is probable.

TCU should thump us, and watch out for UW with Jake returning, I think. Plus they have a solid coaching staff.

Utah is in limbo and any other loss should be upsetting. AFA is problematic so early in the season, but we'll see. A five loss season should impel Acapulco cliff diving.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
JJS

JJS is on a distinguished road

I think your analysis is pretty spot on. Defense has been a concern for me the last couple of years. We meet some of the top QBs in the nation next year: Ponder, Locker, and Dalton. Ponder and Dalton had a field day on us last year. I expect us to take care of the usual suspects, but Washington, FSU, TCU, and Utah will be tough. We might be able to steal one from Washington and maybe Utah. But without being able to put pressure on these QBs, it will be tough to play keep up with an inexperienced QB and a porous O-line

The offense is a total question mark. We have some talent in the backfield, but they will need help from the O-line. If we can get a good running game it will take a lot of pressure of our green QB. If not, it could get ugly at times. My guess is a 4 loss season. We pull off an upset but one of the MWC middles will sneak up on us.
JJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post
I think your analysis is pretty spot on. Defense has been a concern for me the last couple of years. We meet some of the top QBs in the nation next year: Ponder, Locker, and Dalton. Ponder and Dalton had a field day on us last year. I expect us to take care of the usual suspects, but Washington, FSU, TCU, and Utah will be tough. We might be able to steal one from Washington and maybe Utah. But without being able to put pressure on these QBs, it will be tough to play keep up with an inexperienced QB and a porous O-line

The offense is a total question mark. We have some talent in the backfield, but they will need help from the O-line. If we can get a good running game it will take a lot of pressure of our green QB. If not, it could get ugly at times. My guess is a 4 loss season. We pull off an upset but one of the MWC middles will sneak up on us.
There will be some grumbling next year. And some of it will come from me.

I think I'd like to scroll ahead to 2011, because there will moments of great displeasure next season.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Fire anae!!!!!!!!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
JJS

I have been nervous as each of the last 4 seasons approached. I thought that with all the holes they have in personnel, it would spell disaster. But, at least according to my own expectations, BYU has over achieved each season. Maybe they do the same this season. At this stage, I have less anxiety about next year. Because of the loss of so many key players, I think it will be hard for them to compete for the conference championship. There were no real excuses for not competing for it last year. Maybe I put too much stock in QB play. I was always worried that Hall would get flustered and throw too many interceptions. If we have a three loss season, I will be pretty happy. The four games in September are against teams that could potentially beat us (I never know what to think of Nevada though). We will have a good idea of how our season will go after these games.

Last edited by JJS; 04-17-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
JJS

Well... With tonight's revelation maybe I should look forward to a four to five loss season. Maybe Q will be the next Dion Lewis.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, wow, wow.

Quote:
A woman Unga has been dating on and off for the past three years, BYU women's basketball player Keilani Moeaki, also voluntarily withdrew from school Friday due to an honor code violation, Jenkins confirmed.

Unga and Moeaki were engaged to be married a year ago, but called the wedding off last spring. Unga acknowledged last month that the two were dating.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14902782

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
JJS

Wow, can you blame the guy? I wonder how this hurts his pro prospects. Can he even be drafted at this point? Maybe the supplemental draft?

Just a crappy situation for everyone.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
JJS

Are BYU fans making too much of this? Is it a foregone conclusion that he won't be back this fall? I don't necessarily think not having him on the team spells disaster, maybe we have another loss but big deal in the scheme of things. I thought the big reason he was coming back next year was to shore up his skills for the NFL. I'm not sure how the institution itself will handle this situation if he wants to return.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Archaea

So two college students dating have sex. At any other university it would be expected. At BYU it becomes front page news. How backward is that?

Geeze.

I loved BYU despite its limitations but the further I am away from it, the more its parochialism annoys me.

Having sex is not the end of the world, but BYU seems to treat it like their serial murderers.