cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #81
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
BDB, I know how you feel, but trust me on this one....

go to the temple a few times.....then go for a few years........then let me know if you wished the ceremony would slow down a little.

The pace is already extremely slow, which is why you will see people falling asleep sometimes. You will pick up on the basics after even a few visits. And you will be glad that it is not even more slow.

The cool thing about the temple is that you can just go back over and over again and focus on small portions of it. I always seem to notice something new when I go.

For example......next time everyone goes, please note how prominently a COUGAR is featured in one shot during the garden sequence. There is one brief, beautiful shot in which a peaceful, law-abiding, virile cougar is shown lying down without any ire.

Then tell me exactly how many Utes are given screen time? Answer: zero. Take THAT, suckas!
Has anyone mentioned that there are 2 videos, is there a cougar in both? I'll have to watch out for that. And why is that, why 2 videos? I know one is older, but why make a new one, and then continue to use both, I don't get it.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #82
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
Has anyone mentioned that there are 2 videos, is there a cougar in both? I'll have to watch out for that. And why is that, why 2 videos? I know one is older, but why make a new one, and then continue to use both, I don't get it.
Michael Ballam is a rock star and you can't shelve a rock star.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #83
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't know all the reasons, but I've been told at least one is to dispel improper myths that might be drawn up by members who disproportionately focus on minor details .... Eve's hair color, for instance. By differentiating the films, it helps mitigate that kind of speculation.

I'm not comfortable going into more detail than that. I'm sure you can tell the differences for yourself.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #84
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't know all the reasons, but I've been told at least one is to dispel improper myths that might be drawn up by members who disproportionately focus on minor details .... Eve's hair color, for instance. By differentiating the films, it helps mitigate that kind of speculation.
That is a very good point.

The next thing you know, some knucklehead members will take it too far and start thinking that the floor is evil.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #85
Gidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Very good point, I never thought of that. IMO that would be a good reason to make two videos. That's good enough for me anyway.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 AM   #86
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There have many forms of the endowment and the film was created during the McKay era, to accommodate the Swiss temple, which created a problem because not enough workers would be found to speak the many languages which were necessary to accommodate those within its district. Thus the film was developed.

There have been many versions of the Endowment, including the Kirtland, the Nauvoo, the SLC Endowment House, 1931, 1984, 1990, and 2007-08 versions. Some were radically different than others.

The endowment is theater laced with religious principles. It has changed in the past, is changing now and will likely change again (my prediction).

The purpose of the Endowment is to teach participants our role in the eternities and our relationship to God. We collectively reveal to ourselves at the individual level, our spiritual relationship to God, and our importance to him.

The theater though entertaining at some level, and pedagogical at another, is the medium not the substance.

It establishes God is the Father of our souls, created a plan on earth and the Jesus is our salvation.

And we learn we are connected to each other and that, although salvation is individual, exaltation requires connectedness and mutual interdependence.

It is a sublime teaching medium but oft people get distracted by the wrong elements.

Elements I would not focus upon: dress, particulars of the film, exact wording of agreements, or exact mechanics of the Endowment.

It works better for me, when I allow it to flow more like sitting in a river of water and thought, allowing the experiences to rush over me, collecting data which sparkle as I observe. It can be cerebral or emotive, depending on your particular mindset at that time. It can be a period of personal revelation, contemplation, or simple reflection and rejuvenation. It can be anything you wish it to be.

IOW, the essence of the Endowment besides certain agreements is connectedness of humanity with the Divine, to elevate our souls to meet his. Interlace the principles like one grand unification principle, one unifying event.

Last edited by Archaea; 07-31-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 AM   #87
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
There have many forms of the endowment and the film was created during the McKay era, to accommodate the Swiss temple, which created a problem because not enough workers would be found to speak the many languages which were necessary to accommodate those within its district. Thus the film was developed.

There have been many versions of the Endowment, including the Kirtland, the Nauvoo, the SLC Endowment House, 1931, 1984, 1990, and 2007-08 versions. Some were radically different than others.

The endowment is theater laced with religious principles. It has changed in the past, is changing now and will likely change again (my prediction).

The purpose of the Endowment is to teach participants our role in the eternities and our relationship to God. We collectively reveal to ourselves at the individual level, our spiritual relationship to God, and our importance to him.

The theater though entertaining at some level, and pedagogical at another, is the medium not the substance.

It establishes God is the Father of our souls, created a plan on earth and the Jesus is our salvation.

And we learn we are connected to each other and that, although salvation is individual, exaltation requires connectedness and mutual interdependence.

It is a sublime teaching medium but oft people get distracted by the wrong elements.

Elements I would not focus upon: dress, particulars of the film, exact wording of agreements, or exact mechanics of the Endowment.

It works better for me, when I allow it to flow more like sitting in a river of water and thought, allowing the experiences to rush over me, collecting data which sparkle as I observe. It can be cerebral or emotive, depending on your particular mindset at that time. It can be a period of personal revelation, contemplation, or simple reflection and rejuvenation. It can be anything you wish it to be.

IOW, the essence of the Endowment besides certain agreements is connectedness of humanity with the Divine, to elevate our souls to meet his. Interlace the principles like one grand unification principle, one unifying event.
that might be your finest post
Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 AM   #88
Gidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Thanks for your synopsis, it was beautiful and truly appreciated, but I still don't know why they made a newer video, and still use both.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:11 AM   #89
Gidget

And Surfah wants to add that he just thinks brunette Eve is hot.

So irreverent . . . . .
Old 07-31-2008, 04:24 AM   #90
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Also, dont just throw your garments on the floor, please.
So I"m guessing it's also wrong to reach for that last article of clothing to come off after doing the wedding night thing to tidy up a little.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote