cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Angle of Repose is particulalrly good for Northern California.

I am also a huge fan of Edward Abbey, and in partcialur his novel Desert Solitarie, which I think gives more insight into the Western mind than anything else I have ever read. I used to keep three or four copies in my office and give it to people that asked me about Utah or western issues. It is a great book and Stegner taught Abbey.
Abbey is another one I enjoy, but he was a hypocrite. Rather than litter the road he hated to make it ugly, he should never have driven on it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Abbey is another one I enjoy, but he was a hypocrite. Rather than litter the road he hated to make it ugly, he should never have driven on it.

But you have put your finger on the beautry of Abbey. He had such a love for the land and its beauty. It drips off the page of Desert Solitaie with his unforgettable descritioon of the flora and fauna and his utter disdain for people that only view it from their car window. This si very Western, we love the land. At the same time, he wnats to be free. And if that means he wants to throw his damn beer can out his window, then he is going to and no lawman or bishop is gong to make him stop. This is also calssically Western. It is what we are. It is what you are. You, IPU, are one of the most western guys here among us, and I mean that as a compliment.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But you have put your finger on the beautry of Abbey. He had such a love for the land and its beauty. It drips off the page of Desert Solitaie with his unforgettable descritioon of the flora and fauna and his utter disdain for people that only view it from their car window. This si very Western, we love the land. At the same time, he wnats to be free. And if that means he wants to throw his damn beer can out his window, then he is going to and no lawman or bishop is gong to make him stop. This is also calssically Western. It is what we are. It is what you are. You, IPU, are one of the most western guys here among us, and I mean that as a compliment.
I appreciate the comment and took it as a compliment. I do have to agree that that is my spirit as well. I just choose to throw my (root) beer cans in the median of I-15 near point of the mountain so the inmates can earn their keep.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I am also a huge fan of Edward Abbey, and in partcialur his novel Desert Solitarie, which I think gives more insight into the Western mind than anything else I have ever read. I used to keep three or four copies in my office and give it to people that asked me about Utah or western issues. It is a great book and Stegner taught Abbey.
AGreed, Desert Solitaire is a great book. As are The Brave Cowboy, and The Monkey Wrench Gang (even though I favor Glen Canyon DAm)
Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Texas' ignorance of Stegner is commendable.

Take your two-bit McCarthy wannabe back to happy valley, you "freakin'" loser Utahns.
McCarthy lives in Santa Fe, and is from Tennessee.

Some of his novels are set in parts of West Texas, but Mexicans could as easily claim him as Texans. So could Arizonans and New Mexicans. Does Dallas gentry claim West Texas?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Does Dallas gentry claim West Texas?

Only the parts with useful mineral rights.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:49 AM   #17
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The gathering of zion (thanks solon) is my favorite history book
Old 03-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #18
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
The gathering of zion (thanks solon) is my favorite history book
Mine too.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote