cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

So we saw the new Harry Potter movie Friday night. It flowed well and had more action sequences than the other HP films. There was some missing information that would have helped considereably to understand some of the plot; it looked a lot like scenes were cut that would have helped to explain things more.

The 'combat scenes' where Harry has to battle certain creatures in order to progress to the next contest were very entertaining. Nice special effects were used without overpowering the storyline.

Also, it does earn its PG-13 rating. Probably most of that is in the confrontation scene with Voldemort.

Overall, a well done movie.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I am blissfully ignorant about Harry Potter. I believe I am one of the very few who have neither read a Harry Potter book nor seen a Harry Potter movie. At this point I am going to continue to avoid them just because I've held on for so long. Plus I do not as a rule like books or movies about wizards.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk
I am blissfully ignorant about Harry Potter. I believe I am one of the very few who have neither read a Harry Potter book nor seen a Harry Potter movie. At this point I am going to continue to avoid them just because I've held on for so long. Plus I do not as a rule like books or movies about wizards.
I'll do you one better. Not only have I never seen or read any of the Harry Potter stories, I've seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies or any of the Star Wars Movies since The Empire Strikes Back.

And it's not like I don't go to movies; I go to lots of movies. I just don't get the fascination with science fiction/fantasy. I thought it was cool when I was 12, but I don't understand how adults find this stuff interesting.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Escapism; adults we get realism in whole lives.

Why would we want a constant diet of movies showing divorce work, dysfunctional families, and constant hatred?

Harry Potter and other science fiction offer hope and courage for ordinary people. Ordinary People was a horrible movie.

I watch all genre except slasher movies, and generally enjoy any well developed movie. Drama is fine, as is humor when intelligently done.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw the Harry Potter on Saturday. It was my first. I had not read any of the books either, so I had no idea what to expect other than knowing it was about kids at Wizard school. All I can say is it was a strange flick. I don't plan on watching the first three.

Although the Star Wars saga began with episode 4, I don't think it's possible to do that with HP.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:38 AM   #6
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk
My wife is the one who is really into Harry Potter - She read all the books and I take her to the movies because she so looks forward to them.

I, on the other hand, haven't read any of the books(I never learned how to read) but I do kind of like the movies, though. There's kind of a lyrical quality in them that mixes well with action & special effects.

Also, I think that Daniel Radcliff is overrated. I don't see much acting out of him but I do see someone who really looks the part.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:05 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default escapism and empowerment

are two themes of Harry Potter.

Harry represents the average run of the mill kid, until he discovers, he really is unique. After years of abuse, he discovers others believe in him.

He slowly discovers courage and the ability to make a difference.

It's a theme, many people can identify with. Perhaps those cynics among you don't see the need, but I always have a need for hope.

And in this world it is easy to lose hope.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:16 AM   #8
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why would we want a constant diet of movies showing divorce work, dysfunctional families, and constant hatred?
Sounds like a normal business day for me. (Although I do get a kick out of being able, every once in a while, to ask someone, under oath, if they've had sex with my client. :twisted: )

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Seriously, how can you not enjoy Harry Potter? Keep in mind that the books are written for 8-10 year old kids, so you are not going to get any literary masterpiece, but for pure entertainment value, its top notch stuff. Archaea mentions some social themes that Rowling brings up in the series, but that is still too deep for me. I just enjoy reading and watching for some mindless enjoyment.

I am by no means a sci-fi kind of guy. I can't stand star trek, and can barely tolerate star wars. But I really dig harry potter and the Lord of the Rings. IMO Lord of the Rings is one of the better written series of all times. I have no doubt that Tolkien was a nut job, constantly walking around in his own little Middle earth, while hanging out with CS Lewis at Oxford. But he can write a mean book.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote