cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default does anyone else watch lebron and think....

i am currently watching greatness mature?

in my life of sports ive only witnessed this a few times...

a. watching jordan...
b. watching tiger...
c. watching brady...

anyone who hates the nba i challenge you to watch one cavs game and afterwards tell me you hate the nba....

its the most amazing thing watching a 20 year old do what he does.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
fuegote

fuegote

I will catch any Cavs game on TV. He is truely living up to the hype that followed him in highschool.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I think he is really the only one, or one of 3 high school players that has lived up to the hype...there was no hype when Amare Staudamire went top 10, tons of hype with Kwame Brown, Dwight Howard, Kobe etc... but LeBron is the only one who came into the league mature enough to know that he had a lot to learn, and now we see him leading a team. Meanwhile, other high school players either ride the pine or are out of the league...I agree though, we're watching greatness unfold.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I hate the NBA though. Lebron is good, but the NBA overall blows.

I love college basketball.

Team matters in college sports. Doesn't mean dick in the NBA to most players. (Pistons and Spurs excluded. Every other team is ME first)

How did Gretzky not make your list?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick
few reasons...

a. im not canadian....
b. i dislike hockey....
c. its hard for me to appreciate athletically what hockey players do....(this probably from a lack of understanding of the game)

watching jordan in the finals in utah was absolutely amazing. ive never seen anything like it in my life. watching tiger on tv dominate courses was absolutely unreal. and watching tom freakin brady win three of four super bowls in the salary cap era is out of this world.

someone i did leave off though....roger federer....it is amazing watching him play tennis, absolutely unreal.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Quote:
few reasons...

a. im not canadian....
b. i dislike hockey....
c. its hard for me to appreciate athletically what hockey players do....(this probably from a lack of understanding of the game)
a. I am not Canadian either, but that doesn't mean that you can't recognize greatness when you see it.
b. If you took the time, you would probably love it. It is a combination of football, basketball, and boxing at the same time.
c. This would explain both a and b. I really got into it about 6 years ago. Since then I watch almost zero NBA and very little baseball. Hockey, NFL, and CFB now dominate the life.

I just wish I could get TSN here instead of the normal ESPN. I would much rather have 45 minutes of hockey highlights and 2 minutes of NBA. Instead, I am force fed every slam dunk from the night in the NBA, yet only get to see highlights of 2 goals.

Blows I tell ya.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:05 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Lebron is amazing. But he won't be great until he leaves Cleveland. One of the espn.com writers wrote an article, maybe Simmons, that it's his destiny to play for the Lakers. He has to go to a big market and have success there before he can truly be catapulted into the legend status.

On a second note, I am sick of the Cavs coverage. That team sucks. Except for Lebron's highlights there really isn't anything to watch and yet it seems that at least one of TNT or ESPN's games each week is a Cavs game.

On a third note, Brady made your list? Holy crap. Granted, I hate the Pats and hate Tom Brady, but honestly, you put a number of the league's top QBs on those championship teams and they still win the championship. In my mind greatness is a player who changes the game, transcends it even and becomes bigger than the sport or league itself. Brady is not that.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:13 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: does anyone else watch lebron and think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
i am currently watching greatness mature?

in my life of sports ive only witnessed this a few times...

a. watching jordan...
b. watching tiger...
c. watching brady...

anyone who hates the nba i challenge you to watch one cavs game and afterwards tell me you hate the nba....

its the most amazing thing watching a 20 year old do what he does.
Let me add a name to your list:

Reggie Jackson.

Those of us old enough to have seen him in his prime know that he was everything the hype made him be and more. He's not known as Mr. October for nothing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I don't think Fus is old enough to have watched Gretzky's greatness unfold. By the time Fus knew who Gretzky was the great one was probably about to retire.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
On a third note, Brady made your list? Holy crap. Granted, I hate the Pats and hate Tom Brady, but honestly, you put a number of the league's top QBs on those championship teams and they still win the championship. In my mind greatness is a player who changes the game, transcends it even and becomes bigger than the sport or league itself. Brady is not that.
I couldn't disagree more. This is a kid second only to Montana when it comes to winning the biggest games. When all is said and done, he may have more rings than Joe. I also don't buy the argument that if you put a number of the league's top QB's on his teams they win too. The fact is that he was there and he won. What anyone else would do, we can't really know. But we do know that Bledsoe was there when he was a top QB and he never got it done.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote