cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road
Default So what does everyone think of the latest Jazz roster?

I like the changes. Fisher is a quality veteran player. He will bring some much needed leadership to the team. I also think Araujo can be serviceable in Utah. He was never really given a chance in Toronto. Carter indicated immediately he wasn't happy with the Araujo pick, and that spelled the end of his career there. If Sloan can make Ostertag serviceable, I am confident he can do as good with Araujo.

I also like the draft. Bringing in a slasher is a great move- something the Jazz have been lacking. He is also a good defender and I expect that will improve under Sloan too. I also like bringing in Dee Brown. Anytime you grab a friend of a current player who can also play, you ahve a good combo.

Overall, I think it is hard to say this team isn't better than last year's already. I don't like how much they paid to Harpring (since I think he doesn't have too many years left in him and I don't think any other team would have given him close to what Utah paid), but I can't question trying to bring him back.

Thoughts?
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

On another board that I read, they brough up that Fishers, Harprings, Okur's and Boozer contracts all expire in 2010. That shows me that the Jazz are committed to putting together a team that will get to the playoffs and compete by then, or they will look to blow up the team, still having Deron Williams and Kirilenko's contracts in place. When I read that, I became a lot more comfortable with the Fisher trade and Harp's contract.

Sure they could still use a big, but hopefully with GG and next year's deep draft they can move up and get the big they need. I like the direction of the team right now, especially with the additions of Brown and Brewer.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

when you say "blow up the team", do you mean like Florida Marlins "blow up the team"?
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

If they haven't gotten close by 2010, then yes, I mean like Florida. Cut their losses, and still have Deron Williams and AK to build around. Basically knowing that they wouldn't be in salaray cap Hell is a relief.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug
when you say "blow up the team", do you mean like Florida Marlins "blow up the team"?
Hey if they can "blow up" like the Marlins, and I were a Jazz fan, I would be all for it. A world series title, followed by a fire sale, bringing in tons of young talent, leading to success again in 2 years. Heck yes.

I doubt that's what the Jazz are planning, but if they are, its worked with other teams and in other sports.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
If they haven't gotten close by 2010, then yes, I mean like Florida. Cut their losses, and still have Deron Williams and AK to build around. Basically knowing that they wouldn't be in salaray cap Hell is a relief.

How much of a problem could the salary cap ever really be? I mean, look at the Knicks! They are doing just fine with salary cap problems... especially now that Isaiah is poised to take them back to the path of championships. Everything he touches is gold.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote