cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road
Default LDS Converting to the Worship of Crystals?

What is up with that?

Another LDS family we know has been affected by the conversion of one or both of the parents to the worship of crystals. From an outsider's perspective, it appears it all began with financial distress.

The first family over the years had difficulty making ends meet, started several business ventures, things did not go very well, then they met up with some group in Utah that did not believe in paying taxes, and within a short time were introduced to crystal worship and they left the Church taking their children with them.

The most recent, again financial distress, on the brink of bankruptcy, the father begins worshipping crystals, he is now living out in the wild in a tent and left the Church. The mother took the children with her, divorce in progress, mother and kids remain active in the Church.

What is attracting LDS members to worshipping crystals? Any crystal worshippers on this board?

The most recent is the one that troubles me. The brother comes from a good family, seemingly great marriage, 4 or 5 kids, always has been active, RM, temple marriage, etc...
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Was Superman's Fortress of Solitude that powerful of a scene? I'm completely unfamiliar with crystal worship. Is it along the same lines as those magnetic bracelets you can buy on TV?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Was Superman's Fortress of Solitude that powerful of a scene? I'm completely unfamiliar with crystal worship. Is it along the same lines as those magnetic bracelets you can buy on TV?
I think it was popular in the 70s
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You're too nice.

Allow me.

cougarobgon, who are you and what the hell are you talking about? This post is like grapevine with grammar.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

What are the donation requirements and when do they meet? I'm always open for a better offer.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a crystal hanging in a doorway of our home . . . I just went and looked at it again, probably just cut glass.

Let's not forget that Lehi dwelt in a tent.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had the crystal missionaries over a for a discussion, if that counts.

They strongly suggested I see the new Indiana Jones film.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
You're too nice.

Allow me.

cougarobgon, who are you and what the hell are you talking about? This post is like grapevine with grammar.
I am not one of any significance. I visit this website to enjoy the banter between posters, whether in or out of the Church. And of course, it was on this board that I was introduced to the Monty Python Classic song "Every Sperm is Sacred". So I figured it was worth coming back to visit.

I don't know much about crystal worshiping (if that is what it is called) other than what those close to the two families that have been affected told me. Apparently those individuals now believe that crystals have powers to heal, to guide, to comfort, etc...whether they continue to believe in God or not, I don't know. They have, however, left the Church as a result of their new found beliefs. It appears that the source of their beliefs has its origins in Utah. I just figured it was a more widespread fad in Utah and those there could share some insight.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
I am not one of any significance. I visit this website to enjoy the banter between posters, whether in or out of the Church. And of course, it was on this board that I was introduced to the Monty Python Classic song "Every Sperm is Sacred". So I figured it was worth coming back to visit.

I don't know much about crystal worshiping (if that is what it is called) other than what those close to the two families that have been affected told me. Apparently those individuals now believe that crystals have powers to heal, to guide, to comfort, etc...whether they continue to believe in God or not, I don't know. They have, however, left the Church as a result of their new found beliefs. It appears that the source of their beliefs has its origins in Utah. I just figured it was a more widespread fad in Utah and those there could share some insight.
Well, this does bring to mind Joseph Smith's beliefs in the powers of special inanimate objects like seer stones and the lore of the urim and thummim.

The idea of carrying a small rock with special powers in their pocket is foreign to most Mormons today. But should it be?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Well, this does bring to mind Joseph Smith's beliefs in the powers of special inanimate objects like seer stones and the lore of the urim and thummim.

The idea of carrying a small rock with special powers in their pocket is foreign to most Mormons today. But should it be?
Joseph Smith had seer stones and we have Google and InTrade. What's the freaking difference?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote