cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My reign of terror is over

Was officially released today as Scoutmaster.

It's weird being released. You get a brief "thank you, we are releasing you" from the Bishopric the week before, then they announce it in Sacrament meeting, and then it's done. There is no goodbye, there is no farewell speech to the boys, you just show up to EQ, and that's it.

No words from any boy or parent. No back-slapping, nothing.

Kind of a weird system we have.

I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to work with the young men. I gave up time with my family (esp. w/ my son), I gave up aspects of some of my hobbies/leisure interests, but it was worth it (except for the part of not spending time w/ my son).

On the other hand, I have a better understanding now of why people turn down callings. It's a lot of time, often in behalf of people who could care less. Or at least, sometimes it feels like that.

The point is, you don't do this stuff for appreciation or love. You do it because you believe in service and the idea of possibly making a difference, even if most of the time it feels like you are spinning your wheels.

This is the end of the Western, where the cowboy rides out of town. Alone.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote