cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Excommunication: heart or action or both?

A member of my stake presidency said that "we do not excommunicated based on what someone feels in their heart. We excommunicate based on their actions. The Lord will judge the heart."

This is a paraphrase.

What do you guys think? I had always heard that attitude and contriteness played a large role. It seems like this brother is disputing that.

Or maybe I misinterpreted him, and he meant we do not excommunicate based on things we desire, but rather on the things we do. That makes more sense. I'm going with this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Attitude and contriteness after

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A member of my stake presidency said that "we do not excommunicated based on what someone feels in their heart. We excommunicate based on their actions. The Lord will judge the heart."

This is a paraphrase.

What do you guys think? I had always heard that attitude and contriteness played a large role. It seems like this brother is disputing that.

Or maybe I misinterpreted him, and he meant we do not excommunicate based on things we desire, but rather on the things we do. That makes more sense. I'm going with this.
the 'action', yes.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
the 'action', yes.
if it is simply the action then there must be clear published guidelines which can be consistently applied.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This is a paraphrase.

A good question, but contrition plays a role, because with no action, there is no reason for a counsel.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
exUte

Default There are guidelines.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
if it is simply the action then there must be clear published guidelines which can be consistently applied.
you looking for hard and fast rules or guidelines?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
exUte

Default Having sat in on over 30+ over the course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
of many years, NEVER, have their been two identical set of circumstances, degrees of contrition, etc. So how can you apply something consistently when the cases aren't consistent?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
of many years, NEVER, have their been two identical set of circumstances, degrees of contrition, etc. So how can you apply something consistently when the cases aren't consistent?
Circumstance and contrition are irrelevant if it is all about the action. You said it, not me.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How many times did you extend a fist with your thumb at 0º and then signal thumbs down?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This is a paraphrase.

One can be a rabid apostate in one's heart, and can easily remain a member in good standing until one opens one's mouth.

One can be a reckless adulterer in one's heart, and can easily remain a member in good standing until one actually commits adultery.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #10
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
One can be a rabid apostate in one's heart, and can easily remain a member in good standing until one opens one's mouth.

One can be a reckless adulterer in one's heart, and can easily remain a member in good standing until one actually commits adultery.
Is this a poll? I choose number 1.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote