cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eqypt requires residents to choose 1 of 3 religions

My Torts professor wrote this. It might be the concept of my law review article.

An excerpt:

Los Angeles Daily Journal
By John E. Noyes

Egypt is purportedly a U.S. ally in the war on terrorism and in the effort to promote democracy in the Middle East. Recent developments must lead us to question that proposition. A legal ruling in Egypt, which raises serious questions about the scope of religious freedom in that country, could affect security as well as basic human rights.

The December decision by Egypt's Supreme Administrative Court threatens human rights by insisting an Egyptian couple declare themselves to be Muslim, Christian or Jewish in order to obtain a national identity card. The case involved members of the Baha'i faith, a religion with more than 5 million followers worldwide that stresses themes of unity among the world's religions. Now, according to the Supreme Administrative Court, the Baha'is cannot state their own religious affiliation on national ID cards and other government documents, nor can they just leave their religious affiliation blank. This decision affects other religious minorities too.

Egyptians must have national ID cards to obtain basic civil rights in their country. Because of the December court ruling, the Baha'i couple's three young children cannot attend school. Without a proper national ID card, a citizen may also be denied a job, financial services and medical care. The court's decision poses a critical dilemma for Egyptians who are not Muslims, Christians or Jews. They must either lie about their religious affiliation - something that is both a criminal offense and, for many, an offense against their religious beliefs - or be denied basic rights due to all citizens.

The court decision is a definite setback for Egypt and its citizens, and may increase civil unrest and contribute to security concerns. Although Egypt is an Islamic country, many other countries where Islam is either the state religion or a source of law have not taken the discriminatory steps Egypt has taken. Other Islamic states in the region - including Algeria, Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Mauritania, Oman, Qatar, the Sudan, Tunisia, and the United Arab Emirates - do not require listing religious affiliation on national identity cards.

To discriminate by denying members of some religions access to basic rights of citizenship is in itself a gross abuse of human rights. Such discrimination may also contribute to a climate in which additional persecution and civil instability become possible.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
My Torts professor wrote this. It might be the concept of my law review article.

An excerpt:

By John E. Noyes

Egypt is purportedly a U.S. ally in the war on terrorism and in the effort to promote democracy in the Middle East. Recent developments must lead us to question that proposition. A legal ruling in Egypt, which raises serious questions about the scope of religious freedom in that country, could affect security as well as basic human rights.
Are there actually people walking this earth who believe that there has been religious freedom in Egypt?
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post

An excerpt:

By John E. Noyes

The December decision by Egypt's Supreme Administrative Court threatens human rights by insisting an Egyptian couple declare themselves to be Muslim, Christian or Jewish in order to obtain a national identity card. The case involved members of the Baha'i faith, a religion with more than 5 million followers worldwide that stresses themes of unity among the world's religions. Now, according to the Supreme Administrative Court, the Baha'is cannot state their own religious affiliation on national ID cards and other government documents, nor can they just leave their religious affiliation blank. This decision affects other religious minorities too.

Egyptians must have national ID cards to obtain basic civil rights in their country. Because of the December court ruling, the Baha'i couple's three young children cannot attend school. Without a proper national ID card, a citizen may also be denied a job, financial services and medical care. The court's decision poses a critical dilemma for Egyptians who are not Muslims, Christians or Jews. They must either lie about their religious affiliation - something that is both a criminal offense and, for many, an offense against their religious beliefs - or be denied basic rights due to all citizens.

The court decision is a definite setback for Egypt and its citizens, and may increase civil unrest and contribute to security concerns. Although Egypt is an Islamic country, many other countries where Islam is either the state religion or a source of law have not taken the discriminatory steps Egypt has taken. Other Islamic states in the region - including Algeria, Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Mauritania, Oman, Qatar, the Sudan, Tunisia, and the United Arab Emirates - do not require listing religious affiliation on national identity cards.

To discriminate by denying members of some religions access to basic rights of citizenship is in itself a gross abuse of human rights. Such discrimination may also contribute to a climate in which additional persecution and civil instability become possible.
More good ideas from Mubarak and co. What a surprise. I guess a little tiny bit of democracy last election did not cure the excesses of authoritarianism after all.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Are there actually people walking this earth who believe that there has been religious freedom in Egypt?
Not since the Caesars (and even then, early on) has there been much religious freedom in Egypt.

Man, I'm grateful to live when/where I do.