cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #41
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Don't worry Creek, I will put an end to my troubles very shortly. I will do the same thing that every other young couple in my ward before he has done--move away. And I mean EVERY OTHER. We have the longest tenure in our ward of any family in our category.

I will move to some ward with a bunch of spoiled white rich kids. And all will be good.
And I'm sure your longsuffering charity for rich white folk will serve you well there.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't worry Creek, I will put an end to my troubles very shortly. I will do the same thing that every other young couple in my ward before he has done--move away. And I mean EVERY OTHER. We have the longest tenure in our ward of any family in our category.

I will move to some ward with a bunch of spoiled white rich kids. And all will be good.
This is the Mike Waters version of "I'm taking my ball and going home."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
And I'm sure your longsuffering charity for rich white folk will serve you well there.
I will be back to colored shirts with no tie, no shaving, messy hair, foyer mormon. It will be good to get back to my roots.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This is the Mike Waters version of "I'm taking my ball and going home."
Like I said, I've stayed on the court longer than any other family in my ward in my category.

But at the end of the day, I still have to do what they all did--do what's best for my immediate family. At the expense of what is good for the ward.

But there will be someone who will step into my spot, and probably do a better job than me.

I will miss those folks, but that's how it goes.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #45
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Dude, you don't seem to get it. This sort of thing happens all the time. WHen my wife was YW president we subsidized the YW program. She is now RS president and we are subsidizing the RS. Move where you want, but you will still do it. In fact, in our ward we are constantly reminding people to submit receipts for reimbursment and NOT pay themsleves but, oddly, many people think it is a blessing to help if they can (even though it appears to me that those that have the least fat in their budgets tend ot help the most, proportionately).
Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Dude, you don't seem to get it. This sort of thing happens all the time. WHen my wife was YW president we subsidized the YW program. She is now RS president and we are subsidizing the RS. Move where you want, but you will still do it. In fact, in our ward we are constantly reminding people to submit receipts for reimbursment and NOT pay themsleves but, oddly, many people think it is a blessing to help if they can (even though it appears to me that those that have the least fat in their budgets tend ot help the most, proportionately).
In a normal ward, a scruffy rebellious malcontent like me would not be executive secretary or scoutmaster. My ward has to get to the very bottom of the barrel to fill out the calling roster.

Scouting for the couple years before I arrived on the scene didn't cost a lot, because it didn't really happen. No campouts, no cost. No scoutmaster for 7 months, no program, no cost.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #47
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
In a normal ward, a scruffy rebellious malcontent like me would not be executive secretary or scoutmaster. My ward has to get to the very bottom of the barrel to fill out the calling roster.

Scouting for the couple years before I arrived on the scene didn't cost a lot, because it didn't really happen. No campouts, no cost. No scoutmaster for 7 months, no program, no cost.
For two years we outsourced our scouting program to the neighboring ward. Then a member from Ecuador moved in with 20+ years of Scouting leadership experience and he managed to get us designated as a ScoutReach program and the BSA picked up virtually all of our scouting expenses, including next week's week long camp that 8 YM are attending.

http://www.scoutreachbsa.org/
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
For two years we outsourced our scouting program to the neighboring ward. Then a member from Ecuador moved in with 20+ years of Scouting leadership experience and he managed to get us designated as a ScoutReach program and the BSA picked up virtually all of our scouting expenses, including next week's week long camp that 8 YM are attending.

http://www.scoutreachbsa.org/
It's interesting that the church doesn't commit to financially supporting troops IMO.

I pay more tithing, I believe, than the entire ward budget, and I believe this was the case when I was still a resident.

I personally believe the church's move to shoestring budget and cheapo activity plan was a mistake.

I don't get the idea that you can't have members pay money for activities, yet adults in callings are expected to subsidize entire programs?

The truth is that the church doesn't want people in callings floating the activity budget for the church. But it's often the only way to make things work.

I know members are willing to pay more money to improve the budget for activities, but most often, they are not allowed to.

Apparently my stake had a prior stake president that didn't allow any fundraisers. Such a policy is indicative that a stake president does not prioritize scouting. When scouting suffers, YM program suffers. Good luck running a boy scout program on $200/year.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #49
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, your comments here are fine, and dealing with budget issues is very difficult. What, for me at least, is hard to swallow is your martyr complex. You are not that different. It happens all the time.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #50
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Shows how much I know. I would have bet money it was their youngest child.
As a youngest child in my family, I want to scream right now
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote