cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You could see this coming from about a mile off

http://www.contracostatimes.com/bayandstate/ci_9756284

I like that Shipps, unlike way too many Mormons, knows our history. She's absolutely correct that in 1932 President Grant tried to coerce the Church to vote against Roosevelt and the effort backfired in a major way (and the moral issue of the day was prohibition).

I don't see quite the same indignance over this California thing, but for me the interesting issue will be a difference between the 1932 Church and the 2008 Church. There was little to no fallout for those who disparaged the Church's intrusion into politics in 1932, but with today's mullah mentality and a pervasive lack of historical perspective, in the present situation there could be plenty of fallout.

The short of this is that this could get ugly. Very ugly.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 07-02-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I venture to say that a lot of Mormons don't like the dictum, but they are not speaking to the papers.

I honestly don't think the church has any moral gravitas, and therefore it is hard to take the church seriously. Look at all the issues the church has not commented on or supported.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I predict nothing happens at all.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I predict nothing happens at all.
I agree with Tex. I bet they don't even discipline the people quoted in the article.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone knows I am a proponent of the "there is a difference between counsel and commandment."

That being said, I sustain the brethern as the spokesman for the church, maybe not for me in every instance, but certainly for the church.

I personally believe a line is drawn between speaking amongst ourselves about a disagreement and going public with the disagreement.

Personally, before proclaiming to be an active Latter Day Saint and then publicly repudiating something the church has taken a strong stand on, I would renounce my membership.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, at least Nielsen has achieved in print what he never did in real life.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

When the church came out supporting the constitutional amendment, my stake president was very clear, and emphasized, that we were not being asked to vote for the amendment.

I like my stake president. If he excommunicated me, I think I would respect that excommunication.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

The story has been removed:

Quote:
The story on which people below are commenting has been temporarily removed because it inadvertently was posted before being edited. We will repost as soon as possible the story examining the Mormon reaction to a call to support a gay-marriage ban in California.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
http://www.contracostatimes.com/bayandstate/ci_9756284

I like that Shipps, unlike way too many Mormons, knows our history. She's absolutely correct that in 1932 President Grant tried to coerce the Church to vote against Roosevelt and the effort backfired in a major way (and the moral issue of the day was prohibition).

I don't see quite the same indignance over this California thing, but for me the interesting issue will be a difference between the 1932 Church and the 2008 Church. There was little to no fallout for those who disparaged the Church's intrusion into politics in 1932, but with today's mullah mentality and a pervasive lack of historical perspective, in the present situation there could be plenty of fallout.

I wish the article were still there, but I can't see it. It may have been similar to an AP wire story on the subject a few days ago. In that article, my nephew, Matt Thurston, was quoted as saying he was surprised the Church didn't sit on the sidelines on this one, and his disappointment was evident--and he's a good and faithful member, despite his authorship of Sunstone articles. The best part of the article was that the paragraph mentioning him ended with "...Matt Thurston of Corona, California, who is not gay." How often is one's straightness proclaimed in a national news story?

And despite my misgivings about the current issue, let me bear testimony that my feelings about the Church come closer to, and are perhaps even more devoted than, those of my nephew Matt, than to those of my cousin, Sandra Tanner and her late husband.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

That's cool for Matt. Hard to be the black sheep of the family with Sandra there.