cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2008, 04:31 AM   #11
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I didn't understand his post. If the company pays for it he should just enjoy it.
I'm not disputing that, I'm simply trying to put to bed some misconceptions. Price seemed to be a concern which is understandable as his only experience has been restaurant pricing. I just wanted him to know that he shouldn't let what liquor costs in a restaurant deter him from drinking on his own as you can get quality wine/booze/beer at very reasonable prices.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:49 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
and are less literal in your faith, I think it's time you started appreciating the joys of good wine. What say you? Why not?
Why not?

Because if any one of us leave eventually leave the church, you win.

I won't give you that satisfaction.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:50 AM   #13
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
source? are you saying that cardiologists disregard the design flaws demonstrated in the old studies, where people who had quit drinking were counted as abstainers?
I would say most cardiologists consider the observational data (obviously not randomized, prospective studies) supporting the benefits of moderate alcohol consumption in preventing coronary artery disease to be fairly convincing.

I agree with you that there is a ton of bias and multiple confounding factors associated with those studies, though. People who drink moderately, especially those that drink wine, are self-selected to be healthier and to have superior socioeconomic profiles that cannot be adequately adjusted for no matter how hard people try.

I was mostly just egging on SU with my post, although the idea that alcohol may protect against coronary artery disease doesn't bother me at all.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:53 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
I would say most cardiologists consider the observational data (obviously not randomized, prospective studies) supporting the benefits of moderate alcohol consumption in preventing coronary artery disease to be fairly convincing.

I agree with you that there is a ton of bias and multiple confounding factors associated with those studies, though. People who drink moderately, especially those that drink wine, are self-selected to be healthier and to have superior socioeconomic profiles that cannot be adequately adjusted for no matter how hard people try.

I was mostly just egging on SU with my post, although the idea that alcohol may protect against coronary artery disease doesn't bother me at all.
I take it this is your field.

It's not mine but I think mostly that moderate wine consupmtion doesn't hurt you.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 07-13-2008 at 05:00 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:05 AM   #15
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I take it this is your field.

It's not mine but I think mostly that moderate wine consupmtion doesn't hurt you.
Nope, there are no proven negative effects from moderate wine consumption -- probably a few health benefits but that is not definitively proven.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:06 AM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Nope, there are no proven negative effects from moderate wine consumption -- probably a few health benefits but that is not definitively proven.
My doctor said the rule is you can't drink more than your doc. He said I'm well within the range.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:08 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My doctor said the rule is you can't drink more than your doc. He said I'm well within the range.
What if your doctor is a drunk?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:15 AM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

observational = anecdotal?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:23 AM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am completely with SU on this one. I wish we were given a green light on wine.

I read Spectator casually. I am sort of a phony closet oenophile, at least amongst the Mormon ranks. I was taught by a superior of mine at work who is a fairly hard-core wine collector (several thousand bottles in his cellar).....he taught me about soils, different regions around the globe, woods, wine caves, barrels, you name it. I actually think it is a fascinating science.

We were capping off a large project (over a year long venture) in the Bay Area and treked up to Yountville to eat at the French Laundry to celebrate (to this day, the best meal I have ever eaten). I told the Partner that I wanted to act as wine host--ridiculous given that I do not drink. Since he has been to the Laundry several times and it was only a few of us (no clients), he didn't care.

I did a pretty decent job....checked the label, made sure the vint was correct....I even made sure I didnt rook out and smell the cork. I did check to make sure the cork matched the label (I played it cool).

When the sommelier poured and let it decant, my time at the plate had arrived. I had to tell him that I do not drink. He gave me a weird look and then laughed a bit. It just is not common to have a non-drinker act as wine host. I don't think he cared too much because he busted out his tastevin and had a few tastes with my permission.

I have to admit, I was WAY tempted to try wine that night. I didn't. I am glad I didn't because I would have been too drunk to enjoy the marijuana later on....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #20
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
and are less literal in your faith, I think it's time you started appreciating the joys of good wine. What say you? Why not?
I've tried wine many times. I think it tastes terrible - and not just cheap wine. I've tasted what my colleagues assure me to be prime stuff.

Now a nice glass of ouzo on a hot afternoon in Athens . . . . aaah.