cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I bought the ghetto trailer for $300

Question. I have a Tundra. The trailer has a safety chain. Does anyone know where that chain hooks on? The guy said there is usually some dil that it hooks to, but that my Tundra didn't have it.

I never got a hitch. I just got a ball and put it on my bumber. It's pretty light, this trailer.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Question. I have a Tundra. The trailer has a safety chain. Does anyone know where that chain hooks on? The guy said there is usually some dil that it hooks to, but that my Tundra didn't have it.

I never got a hitch. I just got a ball and put it on my bumber. It's pretty light, this trailer.
There would normally be holes in the receiver to attach the safety chains to. Since you don't have a receiver and just the ball on the bumper ... not sure. Is there nothing on the frame that you can hook them to?
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The saftey chain usually attaches to a looped piece of metal welded to the side of the recevier. In the day, before receiver hitches were popular, there were sometimes holes in the bumper next to the ball or there were places on the frame to which the saftey chain can be attached. I don't know anything about Tundras, but I would be very certain that your bumper is rated to pull the trailer and a load. My understanding is that now many truck bumpoers dont' even attach to the frame (and some 'trucks', like the Honda, even lack a traditional frame, as I understand it), so be careful. Watching your trailer disappear in your rear view mirror as you barrel down the freeway is not going to make you a happy guy.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

You should make a pirate ship out of it.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The saftey chain usually attaches to a looped piece of metal welded to the side of the recevier. In the day, before receiver hitches were popular, there were sometimes holes in the bumper next to the ball or there were places on the frame to which the saftey chain can be attached. I don't know anything about Tundras, but I would be very certain that your bumper is rated to pull the trailer and a load. My understanding is that now many truck bumpoers dont' even attach to the frame (and some 'trucks', like the Honda, even lack a traditional frame, as I understand it), so be careful. Watching your trailer disappear in your rear view mirror as you barrel down the freeway is not going to make you a happy guy.
Not only that, but its probably illegal to pull a trailer without a safety chain(s).

What would be worse than seeing your trailer disappear in your mirror is seeing a Dodge Caravan with the soccer family plow into it at 65 mph.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is great advice. Look at the specs for your Tundra. The towing rating for something bumper attached is likely VERY low. So even a small trailer may be over it.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
This is great advice. Look at the specs for your Tundra. The towing rating for something bumper attached is likely VERY low. So even a small trailer may be over it.
I'm pretty sure it is 500lb.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is 500lb.
That's what I meant by very low. What kind of trailer is it and what will you be hauling? 500 lbs is not much.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
That's what I meant by very low. What kind of trailer is it and what will you be hauling? 500 lbs is not much.
it's a ghetto homemade trailer that is 4 feet tall, 4 feet wise and 13 feet long. It hauls windsurf equipment, which is not very heavy at all.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
it's a ghetto homemade trailer that is 4 feet tall, 4 feet wise and 13 feet long. It hauls windsurf equipment, which is not very heavy at all.
If it were me I would get a recevier hitch.