cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default Pre-Mortal Judgement - Doctrine?

I am attending a business meeting with participants from around the world. Of course the luncheon topic gravitated to religion and when I announced my LDS affiliation, the questions began in rapid fire fashion. One of attendees has received the missionary discussions (lives in London), and had a question I could not answer regarding Mormon Doctrine and pre-mortal judgement. Based on his understanding from the missionary discussions, the LDS doctrine is that we were judged prior to receiving our mortal bodies and this directly affects our lot here on earth.

This is the first time I have heard any linkage between pre-mortal behavior and our mortal life. I would like to tell him this is not true, but am looking for sage advice.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I've never heard anything like that from any authoritative source.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Beyond the teaching that the pre-mortal realm was the First Estate and that those that kept their First Estate were allowed to come to earth and receive bodies (which implicitly means some judgment was rendered), I haven't heard anything beyond idle missionary speculation on the matter.

EDIT: I would guess that foreordination also is a form of pre-mortal judgment where something certain individuals did caused them to be assigned certain roles in this life.

Are we all foreordained and is all foreordination very specific in nature? I have no idea.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 10-10-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I am attending a business meeting with participants from around the world. Of course the luncheon topic gravitated to religion and when I announced my LDS affiliation, the questions began in rapid fire fashion. One of attendees has received the missionary discussions (lives in London), and had a question I could not answer regarding Mormon Doctrine and pre-mortal judgement. Based on his understanding from the missionary discussions, the LDS doctrine is that we were judged prior to receiving our mortal bodies and this directly affects our lot here on earth.

This is the first time I have heard any linkage between pre-mortal behavior and our mortal life. I would like to tell him this is not true, but am looking for sage advice.
You will find some JD speculation, some Dwyer bullshit, and other comments here and there, but Indy is basically correct. We really are noncreedal, and our principles and philosophies are not fleshed out.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

People often turn to the first part of Alma 13 when the topic of foreordination and pre-mortal judgement comes up. I personally don't know what to think.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Most likely he was talking about the war in heaven and 1/3 banished and 2/3 coming to earth to receive body.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The important question is whether or not you answered in your "spiritual voice?" Are you really able to shake the shackles of your privileged East Salt Lake Bench upbringing? FETCHER!!!

I know nothing of a judgement. Sounds to me like he is throwing together a bit of LDS doctrine, there was a preexistance, with more LDS speculation (Mormon Doctrine; The Church and the Negro) which both speculate as to the valiancy of spirits in the fight with Satan and what came of those spirits in mortality. I will say this much, if he were from Buirmingum instead of London and was taught by Goat 15 years ago his ass woulda got wet! I had a quota to keep my happy ass in a car instead of 3,2,1 you pump all over that wet and miserable rock. For the record, had he ever been to a dentist?

Why do you get all the good lunch conversations? At my last business lunch four guys in camouflage John Deere hats asked insightful questions about when deer hunt starts in Idaho as well offered quality advice on the best types of huntin' rifles. You must be in the wrong business. I'll bet all four of them could kick SeattleUte's ass and would take one look at his professional photo and call him a pussie.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

It could also refer to the idea that the valiant souls, all of us Saturday's Warriors, were saved for the Hinckley era.

I am somewhat surprised many of you claim you have never heard htis, as I have heard it many times and have even heard people assert that the quality of our life in this world, from the religion of our parents to the size of the house in which we live, depends on how we acted in the pre-existence. This has been de-emphasized and even disavowed more recently, but it was certainly a popular notion when I was younger.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It could also refer to the idea that the valiant souls, all of us Saturday's Warriors, were saved for the Hinckley era.

I am somewhat surprised many of you claim you have never heard htis, as I have heard it many times and have even heard people assert that the quality of our life in this world, from the religion of our parents to the size of the house in which we live, depends on how we acted in the pre-existence. This has been de-emphasized and even disavowed more recently, but it was certainly a popular notion when I was younger.
That's because when the speakers looked at us, as opposed to you, the speakers being guided by the Spirit, recognized those prophecies didn't apply. We didn't hear them because they weren't true for us. You should feel so honored.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That's because when the speakers looked at us, as opposed to you, the speakers being guided by the Spirit, recognized those prophecies didn't apply. We didn't hear them because they weren't true for us. You should feel so honored.
So true. The conversation always ended badly, however, when I asked them why I was in such a crappy house with a freeway in the backyard.