cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #81
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Why is no one willing to judge the measures taken here on the basis of what the church says instead of what they think it says or think it means?
Are you really asking this question?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #82
Anthesian

Anthesian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
So the prophet and first presidency were wrong? The Proclamation on the Family is not inspired? Ok.

I know many people who ended up severing ties with their family when they got baptized (because the family left them). You probably ran into some of those situations in the mission field. Did you encourage them to join because of their testimony even though it may cost them their familial relationship?
This is such bullshit. The so-called "Proclamation on the Family" is a political document and speech given after the same-sex marriage disputes in Hawaii. The same disputes that the LDS members and the church put their time, effort and money into. I attended an Institute of Religion fireside a few weeks back and the idiot at the podium stated that voting in favor of marriage initiatives is a form of sustaining the "prophet". Awww...how cute! Coercion at its best. Like I said...it's bullshit.

To compare a situation such as this to that of a converts experience of losing their family is fallacious. Come up with something better.

The woman caught in adultery deserves the stoning she didn't get. Jesus...why did you have to stick your nose where it didn't belong?
Anthesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #83
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Unliek you, I found cougarobgon's post to be both thoughtful and persuasive. That you are unimpressed is unimpressive, quite frankly.
Fair enough, let's take a look at that post.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...9&postcount=33

From the post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
Now, one can argue for or against the merits of prop 8 and its implications on society, but, I believe voting for prop 8 simply came down to how uncomfortable people become when they think about two men having sex. Some of you may get turned on just thinking about it, but I don't, it disgusts me and don't want anything to with it. And I certainly don't want to legitimize what I consider to be improper moral behavior by diluting the significance of how a man and woman express their commitment to one another by getting married.
So this is the core of this opposition? That he finds gay sex disgusting? And you find this logic impressive?

And I find it offensive and ignorant that he would assume that opponents of prop 8 are secretly "turned just thinking about" gay sex between men. Come on.

Quote:
I am not a practitioner of medicine and have no "book learning" with respect to whether one is born gay or makes a choice to become gay.
So he appears to have little sympathy for the idea that people don't choose to be gay. He hasn't even caught up to the current church position on that one.

Quote:
I believe in God and believe it was never his intent that a man lay with another man. He created Adam and Eve and there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Oh well, that settles it.

Quote:
If I don't stand up to those whose sole purpose is to legitimize the "gay agenda" or for that matter, to stand up against other issues that I believe to be immoral, then I am not excercising my rights as an American citizen. But it does not make me a bigot, undeducated or sheep. Those supporting prop 8 spoke, those against prop 8 spoke, the people voted, game over, at least for now.
Here we go with the evil "gay agenda" angle again. Fear-mongering 101.

Sorry creekster, but I just can't find much here that I consider "impressive".

From your last point:

Quote:
Moreover, you knwo very well that he was referring to the church's policy that same sex marraige is improper not to its explantion for their existence or the best way to assuimilate them into a congregation. Neither of these is affected by the policy on marriage.
You are nitpicking. My point is that the church's policy/doctrine has evolved and will most likely continue to evolve. They can't even make up their mind on civil unions. Two years ago they were firmly against them, now they send contradicting messages.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #84
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Here we go with the evil "gay agenda" angle again. Fear-mongering 101.
You really are in denial about the militant gay movement, aren't you.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #85
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Do you see this in your ward? I know of several people in my ward that opposed the proposition and they are nto being treated as pariahs. Where do you get this crap? Moreover, the church never said it was the gettysburg. This was an anecdote reported bu never confirmed, AFAIK. Why is no one willing to judge the measures taken here on the basis of what the church says instead of what they think it says or think it means?
pariah may be strong, but come on, creek-a-rino....the Church did NOT make it clear from the outset that voting No was ok or acceptable. And while every ward likely had dissenters, I can honestly say that I heard zero OPEN discussion of their opinions. It was all in private conversation. The thought was that if you said you were voting No, you could either get in trouble (which was an unfounded fear) or be treated like a pariah. Based on the reactions of folks on CB (not so much this board, with the outrageous exceptions of Exie and NorCal Cat), can you blame the No voters for simply keeping their opinions to themselves in public?

Why didnt they publish this most recent statement BEFORE the election....the one that basically says, "hey, we know many members will vote no and that all our members shape their political opinions based on personal experiences.....the main thing is that we all respect each other."

Might have made this process much more friendly.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #86
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
OK, congratulations. You stopped the queers from getting married. Swell for you.
I found this comment interesting. From what I'm hearing - and I could be wrong - it sounds as if blacks and hispanics had as much or more to do with "stopping the queers from getting married" as the Mormons did. Perhaps courgarobgon is black or hispanic - I don't know.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #87
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I found this comment interesting. From what I'm hearing - and I could be wrong - it sounds as if blacks and hispanics had as much or more to do with "stopping the queers from getting married" as the Mormons did. Perhaps courgarobgon is black or hispanic - I don't know.
This is absolutely correct. Blacks and hispanics voted overwhelmingly for Prop 8, and quite possibly in greater numbers than CA mormons.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #88
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This is absolutely correct. Blacks and hispanics voted overwhelmingly for Prop 8, and quite possibly in greater numbers than CA mormons.
Lebowski can't criticize them because he doesn't want to be viewed as racist. So instead he cannibalizes his own.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #89
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Lebowski can't criticize them because he doesn't want to be viewed as racist. So instead he cannibalizes his own.
I am fairly confident that within the black and hispanic ranks that there were those who voted out of religious conviction and those who voted out of homophobia, just like in our ranks. But admittedly, I have no proof of that.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #90
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You really are in denial about the militant gay movement, aren't you.
No, I am in denial that every thing that happens relative to gays is part of a vast, evil conspiracy. I think the term "gay agenda" is a cheap prop used by the wacko religious right to demonize gays and to promote fear-mongering.